-Great Expectations-

Personal hygiene is a must!

I’m not talking about obsessing on this. I forget to brush my teeth every once in a while. And it’s ok to be a bit smelly when just returning from a run/camping trip/the barn/whatever, but the next day (or even a few hours later) it’s definitely NOT OK.

I’d hope this would go without saying, but from what I hear, it’s not a given in the wide world of dating. Ick!

• I understand that for post-op transexual women, the surgery can be done so well that it’s difficult to see or feel anything unusual (assuming others get close enough to feel). The thought of a PMS-free girlfriend does sound tempting, but I think it would still kinda creep me out though. - MC

Why would it creep you out? Even though female-to-male surgery is far from perfect, I would have absolutely no problem dating a f-to-m transsexual. By the way, the male-to-female surgery is so perfected that people have been married for years to transsexuals without knowing it.

It’s the bigotry here that’s getting me: being “creeped out,” saying “assuming anyone would get close enough,” and such. Why such hostility to, or fear of, transsexuals? Again, do you think dating a transsexual would make you gay somehow?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Flora, I don’t worry about appearing gay because I don’t really care what other people think. I do care what I think. I really wouldn’t want to kiss a transsexual because then I would think, “These lips used to be guy lips, with whiskers growing around them and everything! Eeewww!!” I wouldn’t want to have sex with a transsexual because I’d be thinking, “There used to be a penis down there where mine is, except it was pointing in the opposite direction and attached! Eeewww!” Call me whatever names you want to, but I can’t help the way I feel. If you want to discuss this further, you should open up a new thread, perhaps in Great Debates although MPSIMS would probably be a valid forum as well.

Since I’m posting again, I’ll add to what I said previously:

• No fake boobs, nose jobs, facelifts etc. (I’m refering to cosmetic, not corrective surgery). Be happy with what nature gave you. I hate how nit-picky people have become about appearance lately.
  • In that vein, don’t load your face up with make-up. Light make-up is fine for the symphony; no make-up is fine for camping.

Addressing the more boring male female relationships, I have some tips for females. If the guy has some potential, he might not be ready for anything long term. Find out if he still goes to James Bond movies. If he does, he needs more training. Throw out his Playboys or other magazines. If it’s no big deal, he’s OK. If he’s emotionally attached to Miss July, he needs more work.
I didn’t ever find that women had these sort of problems, but they may be cursed by some “have to get married” mission. It happens, though I’m surprised that it does. No, I did not have that problem with the wife.

• Flora: I’m not sure how to explain this well. It’s not that transexuals (and for that matter, hermaphrodites) are inherently repulsive. I guess the best explanation is that it isn’t something I think I would want to be surprised with. The concept of gender is rather concrete to me, since I have never had the experience of being on both sides of it. The idea of being of “indetirminate” gender, or of desiring to change gender seems odd in a very primal way. - MC

How tragic–after all they’ve gone through to finally lead a happy, normal life, they’ll always be alone because no one can love them? It’s like the (pre-Disney) Little Mermaid, who had to give up her voice to get legs, and still couldn’t find love . . .

• It’s not something I have had to deal with so I haven’t given it much thought. Should I be ashamed of myself for being honest, or for not holding the same opinions as you? -MC

As for the Flora/MC arguement going on, it probably belongs in GD. However, I’ll put in my $.02.

Flora, we’re not talking about job discrimination or right-to-vote here. A romantic/sexual relationship is a very personal thing and I for one have to side with MC on this. If it “creeps him out,” so be it. Feelings are not rational things, and no amount of logic can change the way he feels. If the idea of being with a p.op. transexual bothers him, then it’s probably a good idea that he should not get involved with one. There are plenty of men who would not be bothered by it, and the number of POTs is pretty small. Let it go.

I know one can’t help one’s feelings–I would not be attracted to an overweight man, that doesn’t make fat guys evil or lesser human beings. But what about it, ARE there any men out there who wouldn’t have a problem dating a transsexual? How about women, dating a transsexual guy?

Flora, I’m going to start another thread dedicated to your question to keep from straying in this one. I’ll put it in MPSIMS for now although it might get moved to Great Debates.