Great rock guitarists emerging in the last ten years?

Howzabout Ben Harper?

Although he has been around just barely longer than 10 years.

I bet nobody here has heard of him, but a guitarist in a band called Nevermore named Jeff Loomis will blow your mind with the scales he can play. He’s even more impressive live than he is on the CD, and a really cool guy to boot (I got to talk to him for a few minutes when he was in town last).

I agree with jinty regarding Josh Homme. My criteria for good guitarists are:

1. Play on great songs
  2. Plays for the song, not for the lead (i.e., typically not a shredder)
  3. Locks into interesting rhythms, holds onto them, and adds interesting embellishments while staying locked in - Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn both did this amazingly well, as does Van Halen - granted, those three all are amazing lead players, but it was how they held the rhythm down while playing amazing leads that impresses me.
  4. They play well constructed leads, that have a story to tell and are melodically interesting.

With that, I find myself suprisingly recommending Jack White of the White Stripes. His work on their latest CD meets all of the criteria above, IMHO.

I would also second the naming of Tom Morello - amazing stuff - my one complaint would be that sometimes it feels like he puts making interesting sounds - lead or rhythm - in front of using those sounds in great songs. In other words, he is sometimes in danger of sounding the same on multiple songs…

I hate to say his name, but Dave Matthews did help change the face of pop guitar. Spawning many imitators (I’m looking at you, john mayer) but talk about being a Clearchannel golden boy.

Junior Brown does a mean guitar/pedal steelish thing too. He gets my vote.