Great songs that deserved to be hits but weren't

Yes it is by The Beatles.

Edit: Comments are saying that isnt the Beatles??

I used to watch a punk band called The Bullys play in Brooklyn from time to time and I saw them play at one of the annual Joey Ramone’s birthday bashes (last video below). I always thought they should have made it.

If you’re a fan of old school NYC punk style music, check out links below.

Click on songs in red:
http://www.thebullys.com/cds/index.html

With Mickey Leigh (Joey Ramone's brother)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKnORqt7w1A

Bad example. Industrial Disease was released as a single, at least in the U.S…

Dancing the Night Away by the Motors - some of the best pub rock. This debut single Only reached no.41 in UK, though they later enjoyed a top-ten UK hit.

In My Own Time by Family - okay a bit of a cheat as this psychedlia, folk-tinged rock song was a fairly major hit in the UK (no.4), but even in the UK largely forgotten

Carry Me by Hunters & Collectors - intense Australian rock. Fondly remembered in AUS and NZ, but not well-known outside the Southern Hemisphere, this failed to chart even in their domestic market.

“Yes It Is” is definitely a Beatles song, and a truly interesting one - but IMO it’s not “hit material” because… well, I’m not sure why… because the lyrics wander? because it needed more songwriting attention than it got? I don’t know, it’s like a picture that’s slightly out of focus.

Probably best to stick with officially released singles, as it’s the best way to judge the “hitworthiness” of a song. (As previously mentioned, “Stairway to Heaven” never charted but was obviously a “hit” in all other respects.)

Another one: Andy Taylor “I Might Lie”: Andy Taylor - I Might Lie - YouTube
A refreshing blast of hard rock from the Duran Duran/Power Station guitarist. Peaked short of the Top 40 in America and didn’t even crack the top 60 in the UK.

I think Blackfoot did have a big with “I Got a Line on You”.

Yes it was. In 1993. Recorded by Rolf Harris.

:smiley:

(Even went to number 1 in the U.K.)

I’maman by Jobriath

Rory Gallagher: Edged In Blue. As good as anything else that was on the radio at the time. Not a hit through Rory’s own efforts, which is kind of cool!

I loved that song when it came out, and I still like it a lot. When I started playing guitar a few years ago, it was one of the first songs I really got good at playing.

*The Execution * by Paul Kelly and the Messengers.

Blackfoot didn’t release it as a single. The original by Spirit reached #25 on the US Top 100 which pretty much means it was a hit.

Back in 1971 in the UK I heard Lovin’ You Ain’t Easy by Pagliaro on the radio and immediately went out and bought the single, convinced it would be a huge hit.
It was a complete flop, but he still performs it today…

“Gimme Some Water” isn’t even on Eddie Money’s greatest hits album, but it’s another one in my everyday shuffle playlist. His greatest hits has about 8 songs I’ve never heard of, but not this one. Weird to me, particularly because I heard it on the radio enough to like it and seek it out.

It went to #17 in the UK, which made it his highest charting song.

I’d nominate instead "I Love You Goodbye"off the Astronauts & Heretics album. One of the flat out, no hedging, great songs, the only Zydeco electronica masterpiece.

It’s a six-minute song, but it was released as a single in the UK and actually scraped into the bottom of the top 40. It builds and builds, both inside the song and in memory.

It might be a hit in Canada right now, but ‘Spin Our Wheels’ by Sloan would sound pretty good on U.S. radio this summer:

Back in the 80s I had a gift for listening to a new album, falling in love with a cut and proclaiming it would be the next big hit single, hearing it once or twice on the radio when it was released as a single, and then watching it flop.

Among my failed predictions:

Battleship Chains by The Georgia Satellites (peaked at #86)
Lost and Found by The Kinks (Did not chart)
Tonight It’s You by Cheap Trick (I was certain this would be their big comeback song. Peaked at #44)

That wasn’t a hit?

In the US it peaked at #94, so not really. It mostly got airplay on college and alternative rock stations. R.E.M. didn’t break through to the mainstream until their next album Document.