Greatest 20th Century Novels: Which Have You Read?

I checked some but they didn’t take. I have indeed read Catcher in the Rye and The Grapes of Wrath, and I don’t know what else it missed.

Maybe your people wrote stuff people wanted to read. :slight_smile:

I’ve finished 21 and started a few more a long time ago. I enjoyed all of the ones I’ve read very much except maybe Hemingway. A lot of my “to be read” list is on this list.

I particularly recommend Brideshead Revisited

This is a weird list. I have to admit that I find it weird that **Deliverance, Portnoy’s Complaint, ** and the Maltese Falcon are on it. Good reads, but “Greatest 20th Century Novels”?

I’ve completed five, only one of them was selectively voluntary outside of a school reading list. It, 1984, was also the only one I really enjoyed.

I’ve tried starting about a dozen others to see what the reputation was about, and didn’t finish them.

I’ve read 21, I’m sure there are many greats missing on the list but i was really surprised not to see “Middlemarch”.
I love Faulkner, but like someone upthread mentioned, I couldn’t read “The Sound and the Fury” and I’ve tried more than once but I loved “Light in August” and “As I Lay Dying”.
My favorite classic used to be “Bleak House” but that was before I read “Villette”.

I was surprised at the choices, too.

Like, I loved Graham Greene’s The Heart of the Matter, but why was that chosen over his more famous (and far more accessible) The End of the Affair, Brighton Rock, or The Power and Glory?

Edit:

That was written in the 19th century. :slight_smile:

Nine of them. All but two (*Catch 22 *and On the Road) were school assignments, and quite frankly there’s not much else on the list that I’m interested in discovering. Yes, I’m a philistine, I know.

*::scans list again:: *Okay, I’ll check out Deliverance and The Maltese Falcon. I can feel my horizons widening already.

Not 20th century.

I agree, though, a lot of the omissions are odd, when they felt like they could put The Old Wives Tale (for instance) on there.

Cheer up, V.S. Naipaul is on the list! :slight_smile:

Mind you, he claims women can’t be great writers, and I found A House for Mr Biswas horribly boring … :wink:

Surprised? I’m absolutely gobsmacked.

Whoever made this list made a HUGE error in omitting that one.

Now that you mention it, yes.

Do you have any specific non-white writers in mind that you think ought to have been included?
Certainly there’s plenty of ground on which to criticize the list. From Wikipedia:

Still, it makes for an interesting poll. And I’d be interested to see the responses we’d get on a similar poll for the “Reader’s List” of 100 best novels, and for the 100 Best Nonfiction books.

I’ve read 4: Great Gatsby, the two by Hemingway, and Catch 22. I’m also surprised To Kill a Mockingbird didn’t make the list. I recognize most of the titles/authors, but there are quite a few I’ve never heard of.
I didn’t read much as a young person (and none on this list are ones I read for school) but I began to read a lot more after finishing college (mostly fiction). But I guess 20th century classics are not my style.

A modest 14 for me - majority of which were truly great IMHO. Exceptions made for the ambassadors - goddamn that is a dry book, and pale fire. Clankingly clumsy effort IMVHO.

Faulkner and Joyce - The bomb diggity.

I’ve read nine, three or four of which were school assignments. I probably hadn’t even heard of about a third of this list.

None. My tastes lean towards science fiction and fantasy; most of those aren’t. And some of those I’ve never bothered to read because they have a reputation for being really depressing (which some people seem to equate with “great”), or have been so thoroughly spoiled for me that I don’t feel like bothering, or both. 1984 for example.

Considering the “readers list” top ten contains 4 selections by Ayn Rand and 3 by L. Ron Hubbard, I think there would be a lot of pointing and laughing. Probably some guffawing too.

Is part of being in a cult stuffing internet ballot boxes?

I’ve read 26. Most of them off my parents bookshelves, and quite a chunk came from my Joseph Conrad fan phase.

Here’s a link to someone who’s going through the whole lot, and writing detailed reviews as they go.

Der Trihs, you might like to try Slaughterhouse Five, Brave New World and Lord of the Flies, all of which are basically sci-fi and worth reading even if you know the gist of them in my opinion.

19 completed. Another 25 begun and abandoned.

I got to 17. The best one of these (by quite a margin), I’m currently rereading: Nr4 on this list, Lolita.