That’s what I get for looking up release dates on Amazon.
[QUOTE=ArchiveGuy]
Nobody’s mentioned it yet, but the Dire Straits GH collection Money for Nothing (ironic, no?) actually features the adulterated version of the title tune with the offensive lyrics removed.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Me, I blame that little faggot with the earring and the makeup.
[QUOTE=gigi]
One time, at the record store, I saw “The Knack’s Greatest Hits”. As far as I knew, they only had that one album (Get the Knack) and I can’t imagine where more hits came from.
[/QUOTE]
As Biffy says, The Knack had two albums back in the day: Get the Knack, and But the Little Girls Understand*. And it appears that they have continued to make music. Who knew? I wonder if I can pick them up cheap at my favorite used CD store.
*both of which I have, Get the Knack on CD, little girls on vinyl.
[QUOTE=OneCentStamp]
Yeah. Me, I blame that little faggot with the earring and the makeup.
[/QUOTE]
Rumor has it he has his own jet airplane.
[QUOTE=KneadToKnow]
Rumor has it he has his own jet airplane.
[/QUOTE]
And he’s a millionaire!
I’ll post here later seems I have to install a microwave oven
Edited to add : I knew I shoulda learned to play the guitar I shoulda learned to play them drums
Any relation to that little Clampett with his own cee-ment pond?
Creed GH’s exists
[QUOTE=Thudlow Boink]
Then there’s Queen’s Greatest Hits. I had the old cassette version on Electra Records, which really did have all their hits up through about 1980. Then, in the CD era, there appeared a “Queen’s Greatest Hits” on CD with a substantially different track listing (and no Bohemian Rhapsody!). Fortunately, I didn’t fall for that one.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve got both Classic Queen and The Platinum Collection. Covers almost everything you could want. The platinum version has a third CD of live and other weird stuff that the normal two-disc collection doesn’t. Oddly enough, it was rather cheaper to buy the collection with the third disc.
[QUOTE=Autumn Almanac]
Yup. Also, some band’s careers are so long that unless you have six discs to fill, you’ll never come up with a tracklist that satifies everybody. Good luck taking a band like the Beatles, Kinks, or Rolling Stones, and coming up with a list of “essential” songs with less than 40-50 entries!
[/QUOTE]
Or The Who. I got The Ultimate Collection and it has 35 songs, 39 if you count the 4-track bonus CD with different versions of Substitute, I’m A Boy, Happy Jack, and Magic Bus.
[QUOTE=asterion]
Or The Who. I got The Ultimate Collection and it has 35 songs, 39 if you count the 4-track bonus CD with different versions of Substitute, I’m A Boy, Happy Jack, and Magic Bus.
[/QUOTE]
Good point. I bought that comp for my brother to try to get him into the Who. It’s got, what, two tracks from Quadrophenia, maybe three?
[QUOTE=Autumn Almanac]
Good point. I bought that comp for my brother to try to get him into the Who. It’s got, what, two tracks from Quadrophenia, maybe three?
[/QUOTE]
Three. 5’15; Love, Reign O’er Me; The Real Me. I don’t think I missed any (had to do an eyeball check in iTunes.) Two from Tommy (not a surprise there), one from The Who Sell Out, five from Who’s Next. That’s all I have in iTunes at the moment, so I can’t comment on the other 24 songs. (Getting all the albums of a group like that is a major project, and I’ve only managed to do it so far with Led Zeppelin, though I’m close with The Beatles.) The little booklet that comes with the compilation is nice, but they don’t give the original albums.
[QUOTE=cochrane]
Any relation to that little Clampett with his own cee-ment pond?
[/QUOTE]
They’re brothers
in arms.
On the hijack:
My town is probably 20% Roma. I have a bunch of Roma students. People say the most unbelievably hateful things about them all the time. (My coworkers recently spent a class break making jokes about forcibly sterilizing the gypseys after two kids. Oh, my sides!) In general, I try not to associate with racists, but if I stopped talking to all the Bulgarians who say mean things about the Roma, I’d run out of people to talk to pretty quickly. I was horrified/amused to see a newspaper article last year about the mayor of Sofia issuing a statement that people shouldn’t immediately blame the Roma first thing whenever anything bad happens. What an amazing concept!
HOWEVER, all the Roma I know actually call themselves “tsiganni”. (gypseys) The only people I know of who call them Roma are people associated with Peace Corps and “official” sources, like the government or the news anchors on BTV. It reminds me of how we’re supposed to call Native Americans “Native Americans”…but they continue to call themselves “Indians”.
That said, using the word “gyp” as a negative phrase is very rude and uncalled for.
I once bought Juice Newton’s “Greatest Hits” - I was disappointed to find out it was a cassette single 
[QUOTE=Biggirl]
I believe I used the word ‘gyp’ correctly. Do you mean posters will call me to task for using a word that is supposedly offensive to Gypsies? I don’t think Dopers will be that niggardly with their patience.
[/QUOTE]
Well, that’d be mighty white of them.
[QUOTE=Kyla]
It reminds me of how we’re supposed to call Native Americans “Native Americans”…but they continue to call themselves “Indians”.
[/QUOTE]
That’s because we were more than 500 different nations. We were natives to our own cultures, not the European culture named after Amerigo Vespucci. Besides, Vespucci was a mass murderer and slave trader, so why would we want to be native to something named after him? But frankly, it’s a consolation, however small, that we can remind ourselves of what idiots the conquerors were. They thought they’d come to India, and named us all accordingly. It’s one of the few things they did that we can laugh at.
[QUOTE=Quint]
Well, that’d be mighty white of them.
[/QUOTE]
Didn’t realize there were two pages to this one. I’ll be in the corner with the duncecap on.
All right! All right! Next time I’ll remember if Paul Revere and the Raiders release a GH CD without Indian Reservation on it, I’ll have NOT been gypped at all. I’ll have been ripped off.
For the Who, I went for Live At The Isle of Wight Festival.
Years ago I realized I had a hankerin’ for some Sinatra. Find myself in a record store and scout out the biggest Sinatra compilation I could find- Sinatra 80th- All The Best. A quick glance at the back shows 40 (40!) songs on 2 discs. Perfect. Everything I’ll want must be on here, since after all it’s called “All The Best”.
Get it home, put in the first disc and inspect further. No “The Way You Look Tonight”. No “Fly Me To The Moon”. No “It Was A Very Good Year”. No Summer Wind". No “That’s Life”. No “My Way”.
Grrrrr.