Greatest Warriors of All Time

Are you going to back that up with anything other than bluster?

Genghis Khan. Warrior, leader and conqueror of half the world.

Historically thugs and bullyboys were cannonfodder type ‘troops’ used in civil disorder. Good if you want someones head bashed in and a shop burned. Warriors were trained to obey orders and actually kill or capture the enemy. The trick with warriors is getting them trained to stop on command, thugs and bullyboys are just interested in the destruction and rarely bother to obey any orders.

Nika Riots gangs of roaming bullyboys, oddly enough early sports hooliganism, more or less. Supporters of different sports teams of gladiators, charioteers and athletes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartacus and the Third Servile War was a slave uprising, lead primarily by a small cadre of gladiators that killed civillian targets, not just miltary - sorry, military targets do not include children. [at the time children were valuable as slaves and not killed so they could be transported and sold]

Thanks everyone! I’m writing them all down. Any badass Chinese martial artists? I remember reading something about the Ten Tigers of Canton. Any Japanese swordsmen other than Musashi?

Yue Fei.

How about Delta Force snipers Gary Gordon and Randall Shughart? Any pussy can kill a hundred enemy with superior tactics and effective use of terrain. These two guys demanded three times to get dropped off in the middle of ten thousand screaming Somali so they could defend Mike Durrant’s Black Hawk crash site, knowing that there would be little chance of relief.

Wow. Thanks for the link.

Well, you are not going to get far up the MMA or boxing food chain if you aren’t disciplined.

MMA fighters are neither warriors nor thugs and bully boys - they’re athletes. They may be warriors as well, or they may (like any athlete) be thugs as well, but first and foremost they’re athletes.

I wouldn’t tell Cain Velasquez or Fedor Emilianenko they weren’t warriors, unless it was over the telephone. Does anyone really doubt they would likely be elite gladiators had they been born 2,000 years ago?

Also, I’d like to see anyone from any military force manhandle either of those two people, or even neutralise them, without a machine gun or something.

Not strictly a warrior, but Huo Yuanjia was a badass martial artist.

Sure, lots. Chiba Shusaku Narimasa, Yagyū Munenori, Tsukahara Bokuden, The Forty Seven Ronin, etc.

Absolutely, but…gladiators weren’t necessarily warriors either! :smiley: I’m just going by the strict definition of warrior as “one who fights in wars,” not denigrating their talents or accomplishments.

See also: Kensei.

For good measure, a Thai who defeated 10 Burmese in a row in hand to hand combat while being held as a POW: Nai Khanom Tom

King Arthur
Hercules
Roland
Wong Fei Hong
Saladin

It’s further worth noting that several of the badasses listed so far killed multiple armed enemies with their bare hands. That’s more enemies than an MMA fighter ever faces; much better armed; he’s still unarmed himself; and he killed them. It’s orders of magnitude more difficult, more impressive, and more badass than MMA.

Nathan Bedford Forrest enlisted as a private in the Confederate States Army. By war’s end, he had attained the rank of lieutenant general. It is believed that Forrest killed over thirty men in close quarter combat using pistol, saber, or shotgun.

While I don’t know these two guys from Adam, or follow the sport enough to know the difference between them and these UFC athletes (Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, Gabriel Gonzaga, and Marcus Davis), these four didn’t fare so well at Quantico, either in the hand to hand aspect, or the Obstacle Course, or other physical training exercise that train Marines for the rigors of combat. Whether they have the intestinal fortitude to kill, noone can say until they are faced with it.

How about David Hackworth?

Spartacus?