Gregory Peck just died!

Who did the narration in To Kill A Mockingbird (Scout as a grown-up)?

I’m so bummed. He was just so great.

And his hottitude was unsurpassed. Shoo-weeee!

I’m very, very sad. :frowning:

Man… that whole generation of actors is getting whittled down pretty badly.
It’s really too bad about Mr. Peck.
I’ll throw my 2 cents in and say that he was great in On The Beach, as well as in the movies already mentioned.

Later days…

Ohhhh, I just remembered Roman Holiday—wasn’t he just the living end in that?

Yeah, but that was really Audrey Hepburn’s picture.

It’s a tribute to his cting abilitry that he could play a decent man railing against institutionalized racism in TKAM and a horrigyingly evil Josef Mengele in The Boys from Brazil.

And he was definitely beddable.

Oh man…nooo…

:frowning:

This is sincerely, sincerely sad. What a loss of a great actor and a fantastic human being.

-Rest Well, Greg. We’ll miss you.

“Stand up, Jean Louise, your father’s passing.”

…sniff…

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

My third was Trevor Goddard.

What a sucky week.

As I’ve mentioned before, Gentleman’s Agreement is my favorite movie, even though I accidentally named Cary Grant as its star in one thread (still haven’t lived that down). I think I’ll watch it again tonight, and maybe check out an old JAG episode and one of David Brinkley’s books as well. sigh

Here is a good, detailed obit, from the Wash. Post.

That is sad. I think Peck was one of the three classic Hollywood actors who exemplified on screen what most of us would LIKE to believe are American virtues (Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda, of course, are the others).

I don’t know what his health was like in recent weeks, but I hope he saw that the AFI named him (I know, it wasn’t him, it was Atticus Finch… but to most of us, they were practically the same) the greatest screen hero of all time. And while he probably would have taken that with a grain of salt, I also hope he was very proud.

I’m definitely sad about this. What a great actor!

On the other hand, in a bit of sheer morbidity, I had him on my deathpool list.

I’m reminded of an anecdote that Mr. Peck told years ago. I’m thinking that he was possibly on an old daytime talk show, like Dinah Shore or something.

He said that TKAM was being filmed, and Harper Lee (the author) was on the set to watch. One day Peck was filming a dramatic scene, and he looked over and saw Ms. Lee crying. He thought, “Wow, I’m the world’s greatest actor. I’m just tearing her up!”

After the scene, he walked over to Ms. Lee and asked her why she was crying. She said (in deep southern accent), “Oh, Mr. Peck – you’ve got a little pot belly just like my daddy had!”

lip quivering :frowning: sniff

That was Kim Stanley.

RIP, Mr. Peck. You were one of the first movie stars who entered my awareness, gave great performances in some of my favorite movies, and lived long enough to hear that Atticus Finch was named the #1 hero in American film by the AFI.

A full life, well-lived, devoid of scandal, with stongly-held political views and social activism. Taking on the Role of Phil Green in Gentleman’s Agreement took some courage so early in your career.

Eve, I didn’t read the other thread, but when I first read this post, I thought of the narrator’s voice from Gauntlet saying “David Brinkley is about to die…”

“To Kill A Mockingbird” is sitting at home from Netflix. I’ve never seen the whole thing, just bits and pieces on TV through the years, but will definitely try to watch it this weekend.

:frowning:

This bites.

One of my favorite war movies is Twelve O’Clock High. Mr. Peck was great in it. He was able to portray a complex person who must take over a “hard luck” bomber group.

He will be missed.

Gah! This sucks.