GRY Riddle

HelperGirl, if you truly aren’t someone else posting under another nickname, then I apologize. The “-gry” question personally doesn’t bother me or offend me, and I think the people it does bother are taking this board way too seriously; however, I do think it’s moronic to post under a different nickname just to inflame and anger people. Again, if you haven’t done this, I am sorry.

Hi, Keeves. Did you notice I posted a link to Cecil’s column containing the answer? No? You didn’t? OK, then, I accept your apology.

“I love God! He’s so deliciously evil!” - Stewie Griffin, Family Guy

HelperGirl… always do a search first before asking your questions. If I used every cell in my hands and feet I still couldnt’ count the number of times that question has been asked. Of course you didn’t make it up, it’s older than the wheel, and very worn out. The very second post in this thread had a link to the answer you wanted, yet you continued to ask…what is up with that?

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

I am afraid that I am too lazy to go searching…sad but true…I didn’t notice the earlier link, I APOLOGIZE!

In defense of the OP–assuming that she’s on the level–the second post did have a link to a previous answer to this riddle–but not anything obvious to show that it was the solution.

We don’t know how long she’s been lurking. If she has for a while, then it should have been obvious that it was a link to a previous thread. If this board is new to her, she might not have realized the clue for what it was.

Thank you MJollnir!

For Keeves-in defense of those who called in the suborbital nuke strikes on the helpless HelperGirl, look at the circumstances. This was her 1st post, and it was one of the Hall of Fame trolls. I’ve been lurking here since about August, and I’ve seen the damn thing three times. Take a quick look around; the board’s been beset by post-and-fly trolls. Anybody heard from Bonz lately, now that he’s done asking about what rhymes with orange? Didn’t think so. The guys-regulars, with impressive posting histories-exhibited the common reaction to this. They may have been wrong; we’ll see.

And now to HelperGirl-well, congrats. As I write this post, you’re the last respondent, and I have yet to see you fling any insults or obscenities. And you’ve stuck around. This shows you probably aren’t a troll. It also shows that, so far, you’ve survived an Internet form of trial-by-fire. Salutations; most don’t even do that, or, perversely, that’s their entire reason for posting. At the risk of causing Contestant #3 to rise from the dead and accuse me of flirting, I offer this invitation; stick around. You might like us, when we’re not biting your head off.

But do us a favor. Don’t ever ask us about words that end with -gry, don’t ask us what rhymes with orange, month or silver, and don’t ask why we drive on a parkway or park on a driveway.

Good luck.

And the problem with small furry animals
in corners is that, just occasionally,
one of them’s a mongoose.
Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

pldennison. yes I did see your courteous link. But I still think that a combination such as:

(1) an veteran SD-er such as yourself
(2) such an obvious topic title
(3) zero responses went in before yours

Get real! What did you expect to see when you got in here? A real answer? Come on! Considering the circumstances, I still think you went overboard complaining to the newbie.

Yes. It’s time to leave HelperGirl alone. It was an innocent mistake, and I’m sure it is one she will not make again. (As long as she pays attention to the links, that is). I can also find it in my heart to forgive pldennison for his response to what he precieved as a trolling question, but it is obvious by now that that’s not what it was. So, let us let this thread just sink down the page and disappear.

Modest? You bet I’m modest! I am the queen of modesty!

Let’s consider our HelperGirl baptized and let her jump on the next newbie who asks this question. Hang around, Toots, it shan’t be long.

Nickrz
GQ Mod