Guardians of the Galaxy - 1st Trailer

Burt Macklin, you son of a bitch.

You should check out Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty, and The Lego Movie. He’s solid in all three.

Once again,

DC: We’re not actually sure how to make a movie about Wonder Woman.
Marvel: Here’s a talking raccoon with a machine gun.

I am also unfamiliar with Guardians of the Galaxy, but I am very familiar with Gamora and Drax the Destroyer. Thanos is my favourite Marvel character.

I’ve read this film is intended to be a one-off, but does (obviously, with Gamora and Drax and The Collector included) tie directly in to the ongoing Infinity Gauntlet sub-plot of the MCU.

I think it looks fantastic. Can’t wait!

Haha! Loved his description on the screen:

Cybernetic/Genetic experiment on a lower life form - has a tendency to bite associates.

It’s just my opinion, but I’m fine with the Avengers including a demi-God whilst a ‘talking raccoon’ superhero baffles me.

I don’t know, from the trailer, his performance is basically Andy transported into the future and put on a starship with aforementioned talking raccoon and tree-man.

Which I am 100% A-Ok with. :smiley:

Absolutely.

Rumored 2016 sequel already scheduled:

Not to hijack the thread but it’s not as if the Rumble was his fault, he was getting shit on by the fans since day one, and it hasn’t really let up.

I am in the camp right now that Marvel movies can do no wrong so I am as excited as all getout to see this. It looks to be much funnier than previous “Avengers era movie” movies which, as has been mentioned, you kinda have to when you’re talking about a talking raccoon who has a tree as a best friend/protector.

Can’t wait for more trailers.

Breakdown from the director:
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-james-gunn-s-trailer-breakdown/rocket-groot

I’m skeptical that this will appeal to the general non-comic book reading public, which it will need to do to be profitable. Maybe it will do well internationally.

Well, yes, that does seem like a problem. They had two options: a talking raccoon, and lesbians. And they picked the raccoon.

Yeah I just see too many people looking at the raccoon and going “What…the…fuck? What else is playing?” I can’t say I blame them either.

But keep in mind that the talking raccoon isn’t trying to accomplish some stupid task that makes it look like a kiddie movie.

The talking raccoon is wielding a machine gun on the back of a (talking?) tree who also probably has some form of weaponry. People might see it because it does have that bit of action along with the weirdness

This is going to be great! So looking forward to it.

I hope that this film isn’t taken as a superhero movie, but rather as simply some kind of outer-space science fiction/fantasy adventure.

Apparently there is little to no story taking place on, or anywhere near planet Earth, and although I am in no way certain, I doubt we will see much carry-over content relating to The Avengers.

There have been far more ludicrous characters in the pantheon of science fiction than talking raccoons, especially in Disney movies.

With regard to box office potential, it’s worth noting that this movie is from the same studio that’s brought in almost $2 billion (and that’s in the United States only; the worldwide figure is over $5 billion) since 2008 – three Iron Man movies, two Thor movies, a Captain America movie, and an Avengers movie (which is the #3 domestic grossing movie ever, just shy of Titanic).

GotG is definitely a harder sell – there are no real superheroes, and there is the talking, gun-toting raccoon factor (however, as Sir T-Cups notes, that could be a factor working in its favor, especially if the character is rendered as successfully throughout the complete movie as he is in the trailer) – but if anyone can make an entertaining movie and also know how to market it successfully, it’s Marvel/Disney.

I could have sworn Yondu was going to be in the movie.

This needs to go on the teaser poster…

We’ll be there.

It’s the first trailer for a movie that comes out in August. This one had the significant task of introducing an unknown main cast. Yondu, Ronan, et al will be held off for a later trailer.