Guess what happens when you dress in Muslim garb and go out in a tiny Alabama town.

Where did you get the idea that she is a blond? She isn’t. She has dark hair and brows.

What do you mean “those racists she encountered”? She didn’t encounter any. That was the whole point of the article.

He must mean the “survivalists” (hunters), who, because they’re dressed in camo, must be pig-ignorant backward hicks. Of course, you and I know that they were probably perfectly nice guys who’d have stopped and helped change a tire on the side of the road.

I swear to God it’s true. Making fun of white Southerners is the only acceptable form of bigotry left.

It was ironic that the only people down on the southerners seemed to be the Americans. The Arab professor seems a particularly nice guy and somewhat irked at the negative stereotypes (which he probably knows a thing or two about).

Maybe the Arabians had no idea she was in hijab, and just assumed she was another one of those crazy SCAdians, off to the War?

I can’t speak for other denominations, but for Mormons, bible bashing specifically means an argument about attacking (“bashing”) someone’s interpretation of the Bible with references to the Bible, and should be avoided. A recent quote from a church apostle (pdf):

IMO that definition of bible bashing makes more sense than defining it as proselyting generally. Or is proselyting considered to imply arguing? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, in the UK they have Gingerism.

Not sure I understand you (just woke up from a nap, brain is not yet in gear). “An argument about attacking”? What proposition is being argued, and which side of the argument do you have to be on in order to be a basher?

But anyway, I’ve always (falsely, it would seem) thought “bible bashing” meant overly aggressive efforts to foist one’s religious (bible-centered) views on another … kind of like “bashing them over the head with the bible.” Referring to it as “proselytizing” was inexact shorthand of a sort, since I had just employed the phrase “obnoxiously promoting the bible.” Though for some of us, the line between uninvited proselytizing and obnoxious uninvted proselytizing is so thin as to be invisible.

And isn’t it great to know that the positive values of the USA have withstood the challenges of the last decade rather than just assuming it? A worthwhile social experiment in a worthwhile project.

I wouldn’t do it in any number of UK housing estates but I’d be happy if someone did this and came up with a similar good outcome.

Some folks in The Bible Belt might be upset by nuns! (Even though most nuns don’t dress that way may more.)

Rolken was giving an LDS definition of “Bible bashing.” Most of us think of Bible Bashers or Bible Thumpers as the loud preachers one might hear on the radio or TV. Or elsewhere–but those places are easier to avoid for those who don’t want to hear Bible Bashing…

Of course it might have been HUNTING season as well :smack:

Nevermind.

HOW long have you been a Doper? I have seen some of the rudest, most ignorant things about the South said by people who closely resembled people you’d ordinarily admire.

The story I heard was that it was supposed to be spelled “Arad”. Maybe the water tower painter was dyslexic.

We get a kick out of the fact that their high school mascot is the Arabian Knight. Dressed in robes with a scimitar, right? Nope, it’s a knight in shining armor.

Ogre, I ate barbecue at a new place in Arab on Sunday, and they had white sauce available, so I guess it’s spreading.

I really do hope that the South is now no more racist than the rest of the country. It’s not only just, but it would mean that the Republican party’s Southern Strategy would finally be put to death.

How it is and how it votes are two different things. Although do note that Louisiana elected Bobby Jindal (R) as Governor in 2007, the first Indian-American to hold that position anywhere in the country.

Was she being harassed, though? It didn’t look like they were saying anything to her. More like she was just reacting to the cars. Do you think they edited it that way?

That’s great. But I don’t follow your distinction about how it is versus how it votes. IF appeals to racism work to win voters in one part of the country and not in others, how could we not conclude that that part of the country is more racist than others?

Oh, and about the Top Gear thing…did they really need a jump at that exact moment? That felt way too staged. Like they were trying hard to look like it was a really scary moment.

Sure. She must have known something was going on when three provocatively-decorated cars, with different messages no less, all pulled in to the parking lot at once and someone got out to film the scene. What could that have been, from her perspective, but a set-up to see how she would react?

“Harassed” might be too strong a word, but seeing if you can get a rise out of people because they’re stupid bigots with poor impulse control is insulting, at best. Too bad she gave them the response they wanted.