Guilty Pleasures, revisited

Food: McDonald’s double quarter pounders, White Castle (which I haven’t had since college :(), Frito pie, chili dogs.

TV: Buffy, of course, although I don’t actually feel guilty, especially since I’ve gotten a few friends addicted too. So maybe that one doesn’t count. There was once a show that was sort of a trashier version of “Married With Children”, starring the guy that played Brett Butler’s first husband on “Grace Under Fire” (the abusive one), and I watched that show because the teenage daughter was so hot (and way trampier than Kelly Bundy). Can’t remember the name of it though. There was a talking rabbit voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait.

Music: Hanson (yes, I said it; I’m not proud), Britney Spears, some Christina Aguilera (including “Dirrty”).

Books: I actually own the first two “Doom” novelizations. As in the computer game. And I’ve read them each more than once. :shudder:

No movies really come to mind, but don’t take that to mean that I have universally good taste. :slight_smile:

Madd Maxx: Is it “Possession”? “Ice Cream”? “Drawn to the Rhythm”? Come on. You can tell us.

Heh. I write some Harry Potter fanfiction. And I’m a grad student in English, for Merlin’s sake. :: mutters something about the bardic tradition and reclaiming the social role of the story-teller, and slinks out the back door ::

Food: Well, of course, Mickey D’s. That place shouldn’t even count. I have a Weinerschnitzel fetish I’ve been working on lately (which saved me from my gas station hotdog fetish). Gas station ham sandwiches are always a hit with me for some ungodly reason. Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. They just came out with a peanut butter version. Also, I HAVE to buy every version of Reese’s Cups they come out with, and every Oreo version (mint is my fav.) Count me in on the EZ Cheese bandwagon too. I like the huge boxes of cheap sandwich cookies too. Anything with lime in it. Are Laughing Cow cheese wedges considered a bad thing?

Hmmm. My eating habits aren’t so hot.

Books: My friends are always amazed at the obscure books I’m reading. Right now it’s a history of the British East Indias company. But my secret joy is my comic books. Green Arrow, specifically. I like looking at pictures of people dressed weird beating each other up, I guess.

TV: I was compelled to watch The Swan when it first came on. I got turned off after a couple episodes, though. Does Law and Order count as a guilty pleasure? THank god for TNT or whatever network shows this every day.

Movies: I’m proud to say I’m more or less a pure movie snob. I do have a weakness for those early John Cusack flicks like Sure Thing and the one with the fat kid named Ricky.

Music: I love Neil Sedaka. Okay? Allright? Don’t look at me like that. I’m fairly well convinced he was a musical genius. The harmonies, the production values. Innovative, I tells ya. Innovative as hell! Breaking Up is Hard to Do is one of the greatest recordings ever made. He sings back up to himself. Back in the early 60s! Friggin’ brilliant. Don’t look at me.

Oh, and furthur Peter Sellers movies aren’t a guilty pleasure. The man was brilliant (yes, as brilliant as Neil Sedaka) and you should wear your love of Clouseau as a badge of coolness. The man was funny.

Unhappily Ever After

My favorite is “Right Next Door To An Angel.” I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Neil.

I thought of another food one: I take Kraft Macaroni & Cheese dinner, and add an undiluted can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup and a can of tuna and some frozen peas to it. It looks like vomit - greyish-orange with green bits - and it’s so disgusting I almost can’t look at it. But it’s yummy and I eat it when no one’s around.