Gun Grabber 2: Semi-automatic bugaloo

I can’t tell if you’re joking.

A mod came into the discussion, she could have told the offenders to knock off the hijack. I’ve seen it work time and time again.

Yes, she could have. I think she made an equally logical choice since the thread was a mess by that point. It went pretty far off course in a short time.

Granted.

I think we must disagree. I don’t see how you could sensibly read the statement as anything but an accusation that those who want the gun want it to shoot children. Further supported by his arguing that exact point.

Note that Ellen Cherry came in much sooner (according to her post in this thread) but didn’t do anything. She might have been early enough to mod the comment for being a political hijack and a threadshit. But of course then we’d have had to endure the ATMB thread on why Ellen is such a jackbooted thug that she doesn’t allow humor, or whatever.

I doubt it. Ellen Cherry is one of the better moderators who does a good job of explaining herself while she moderates (instead of only when someone calls her on it) and making reasonable decisions. She also will admit when she makes a mistake, and actually polices what she says so she doesn’t wind up contradicting herself later. She therefore does not get nearly as many ATMB threads.

He never argued that anyone wanted the gun so they could shoot children. He said the opposite in both post #34 and post #44.

Yes, it’s possible that the thread would not have gone so badly if she had told everybody to cool down or had given a note in response to a couple of posts. But the post wasn’t a political hijack - the use of the gun in that massacre isn’t political - and I don’t think it was a threadshit.

You’re saying gun control isn’t political? I’ll concede it doesn’t fit the notion of threadshit.

Yes, of course gun control is political. But RickJay’s comment wasn’t about gun control, and the thread is about the fact that sales of the AR-15 are up because of the proposed assault weapons ban. I think it would be futile to try to keep a discussion of gun control out of that thread.

I think we’re ready for Gun Grabber 3-D; Is the Horse Dead Yet?

I dunno. We’d better shoot it to be sure.

And what is a "bug"aloo? Is that a white guy trying to boogaloo?

I was gonna start this exact same bitch thread last night but got sidetracked. In post #2 Der Trihs shits all over the thread, and not only isn’t modded, but a MOD joins in and says something worse.

And you get nailed for “gun grabbers.” The left leaning ideology of this board has blinded it to any semblance of fairness. It seems like left wing shots are simply “the truth” whereas conservative arguments are “being a jerk.”

IMHO, both of those posts are absolute personal attacks to any gun owner who buys an AR-15 and implies that they want children to die. That’s the epitome of a personal attack.

ETA: Then a third mod comes in and closes the thread (which was a legitimate and very good GQ) because the thread was so off course. It was off course because two posters including a mod destroyed the thread. Instead of moderating the posters, the thread is simply closed. That happens too much to a handful of posters on this board.

jtgain, please read some of the 70-odd posts that came after the OP.

That’d be* way* too quick. The best way is the current course - excruciatingly beating it slowly to death thread after thread after thread…

Give me a break. I have read them. It sure sounds to me like RickJay was endorsing Der Trihs’ ridiculous, inflammatory hijack. Here is the relevant subthread, each a reply to the previous post:

His later backpedaling in the thread does not change the implication. Even if that’s not what he meant, it certainly reads that way.

I read them all and have yet to see a clear answer.

Pretty sure **Marley **was only referring to jtgain’s backing up of Oak’s opinion that the whole “gun-grabber” thing was bad/biased moderation, not talking about anything that went on in the MPSIMS thread that he had nothing to do with.

Oh. Well, it seemed to me that jtgain was talking about the bad behavior in the MPSIMS thread exclusively. But, whatever.

Well, it’s probably more accurate to say that it’s about comparing and contrasting the two quite different incidents, and that’s what has been done in quite a few of the preceding posts that **Marley **referred to. So, I don’t think his comment was as narrowly focused on the MPSIMS thread as you seemed to take it.

Just sayin’.