Gunk in Water Supply: Help!

That’s what I had thought at first but the volume is too large to be something like that. It would probably be 2 or 3 cups of gray material that comes out each time, far more than would be used to join pipes. And that’s only what I can see, I have to assume there is some remanent suspended in the water most of the time which is what worries me.

Getting tested this week, we’ll find out.

My choice of contaminate is it will be manganese. It can make the water as dark as black. It can come out in a cloud that runs for a few minutes, before looking clear. The clear looking water will still have it in there. It affect smell and taste negatively while still being in the legal federal limits.

Hmmm…can you describe how that might work? Is manganese added intentionally to help with the water? It has no smell at all, taste I’m not to sure but we’ve been drinking the water for several years and haven’t noticed anything.

I think Harmonious means manganese which is naturally occuring. It is not considered a health hazard: Article.

I think I have found your Annual Water Quality Report. I went to Aqua America’s web site, and their search page. Searching for Levittown brought me this: Link. It doesn’t mention manganese, but you could still test for it.

FWIW, I had a problem with gunk showing up in the water; it turned out that a component of the hot water heater (the “dip tube”) had failed, disolving into the water.

Thank you fore the link to the water report! I don’t think its maganese based on the descriptions I’ve read but the hot water heater issue above sounds interesting. Its an older heater but I didn’t think it made physical contact with the water, just the pipes. Good idea to check out though, I’ll give the maintenance company a call and ask.

Thank you all for some very good advice, I really appreciate it!

I saw this notice on the instructions for the external filter (for iron) that came with our water softener, and thought of this thread:

That's possibly a reference to iron-reducing bacteria, which AIUI doesn't occur in municipal supplies. But I am not a water quality expert.

I recently had a somewhat similar question, and Cowgirl Jules had some useful information there: Health Q: Mold/Bacteria in drinking water - Factual Questions - Straight Dope Message Board

In my case, at least most of the problem, if not all, was buildup of some growth (algal, or bacterial, don’t know which yet) in the water heater. Replacing the water heater seems to have fixed the problem.

From your first post, I was wondering if you were talking about the same thing I get when I fill the tub: buildup from the drain coming up into the tub. You know, that nasty soap/skin cell/dirt gunk that we need to occassionally clear out with drain cleaner. That gunk has the same description that you give.

If that’s what it is, it’s not something that you’re drinking, and I don’t think it’s a concern.

Another possibility, if you’ve just had some work done on your plumbing, is that the minerals and other buildup from the lines to the faucets gets knocked loose, and will come out through the kitchen pipes, etc, for a while unless you flush the lines by running the water (with the aerator off - or it’ll clog) for several minutes.

I’ve been leaning towards the water heater as a source but I just don’t see how it can happen. This heater has no tank and simply heats the copper pipe that our water runs through.

Had the water supplier out to test (only the cold) water last week, should have some results back soon.

So as it turns out the problem was my heater coil. Apparently it can desintigrate from the inside out which is what has been happening. Not a nice thing but also fairly straightforward (though expensive) to repair. Thanks to all for the assistance!