Guy arrested for handing out pamphlets on jury nullifaction at courthouse. Guilty of jury tampering?

You seem to know the answer to your own question:

Though “beliefs” and “values” of the time are more part of lawmaking, not prosecution of lawbreakers. If the values of a particular people in a particular time think a law unjust, they can change the law. Lawmaking is the job of the legislative branch.

As Ravenman pointed out, simply repeating this does not make it so. They are not supposed to look at consequences. Sentencing (the consequences) is left to the judge.

+1

(I’ll bump that up to +2 if the DAs head explodes when your point occurs to him)

>>As Ravenman pointed out, simply repeating this does not make it so. They are not supposed to look at consequences. Sentencing (the consequences) is left to the judge.<<

While true in most jurisdictions, there are a number of states that have justice systems where sentencing (in jury trials) is done by the juries. Here, obviously, the jury is expected to do more than merely determine facts.

Which raises the oft-debated question: In terms of “systems analysis,” which is the better system? Does the expanded duties and powers of such juries further the democratic foundation of those jurisdictions, merely designed to shield their elected judges from political accountability, and is it fairer to the accused and the community?

(Most such systems are “hybrid,” in that judges remain with some power to override or modify jury sentences in some. I’ve read there are six states which allocate sentencing responsibilities, in some fashion or another.)

Hmmm… You obviously don’t agree with the Libertarian party on this matter, they are supporters of jury nullification as laid out in their platform:

Most libertarian leaning Republicans and conservative groups (Ron Paul and the Cato Institute for example) also support jury nullifcation. But no matter, there are obviously differences between “small l” libertarians and party members. Libertarians, almost by definitinon, have strong individual beliefs.

Anyway, while it is true that a Jury’s duty (heh) is mainly to determine the facts of the case, and the job of determining law is mainly the duty of the judiciary, the right of the jury to acquit, even when the facts of the case clearly indicate guilt is unassailable (due to the double jepordy clause of the 5th amendment) . This de facto right (de facto due to the right to a trial by jury laid out in the 6th amendment) is one of the last bulwarks for the citizenry to protect itself from a tyranical or corrupt government. The understanding that juries can judge both the facts and the law is older than the founding of our country and has been supported numerous times in court. For instance, Chief Justice John Jay speaking to a jury in a unamimous supreme court decision (Georgia vs. Brailstford, 3 U.S. (3 Dall.) 1 (1794)):

Another notable example is Alexander Hamilton, arguing before the New York Supreme Court in People vs. Croswell (3 Johns. Cas. 336 (1804)).

This was agreed to by chief justice of the court (James Kent, widely known for his authorship of Commentaries on American Law) in his decision:

This case is important as it has been cited by the US Supreme Court in the aforementioned Sparf et al. v. United States.

Another founding father, John Adams, also expressed his opinion on the Juror’s rights to judge the law:

I could go on citing the founding fathers (Thomas Jefferson also wrote about Jury rights and responsibilities in this regard), and US court cases (both the Supreme Court and several circuits of the court of appeals have upheld this right for juries to nullify laws in specific cases many times), but I think I have made my point here. If you truly believe that this is wrong, that juries are not allowed to judge the law and must only judge facts, provide some cites please.

I will come back again in a while an post some examples of Jury nullification that made sense. Sure their are cases, like your Emmett Till case, that was a miscarriage of justice, but in the main jury nullification can be a good thing.

+3 if this ends up leading to the discovery of the mass of the Higgs boson particle.

(+4 if it doesn’t result in reducing Earth into the size of a pea.)

I am in the presense of the master.

I am shocked and awed.

Well played, Kemosabi.

:smiley:

Can Mr. Heicklen make a citizens arrest of the DA during the trial?

Would the judge stop the DA during his opening statement and remind the him of his 5th Amendment rights?

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you are here for the trial of Mr. Heicklen, who was illegally distributing pamphlets on jury nullification in front of the courthouse. Jury nullification is the principle by which a jury can, in opposition to the law and evidence presented, vote according to their conscience and find a defendant not guilty.

Oh, crap."

(Off topic, but really funny; I was at a local city council meeting a few years ago, and the city attorney interrupted the council members and reminded them of their 5th Amendment rights during what was, up to that point, a rather mundane zoning discussion.

The meeting became VERY interesting at that point)

Since I’m not a lawyer, I’m going to let the cites of the previous posters set precedence, and the legal eagles can quibble about it if they like. It seems clear to me that there is a long history of juries having the power and responsibility to consider each case in the exact manner I have suggested. Leaving the power “to the experts” (paraphrasing) as one poster suggested is probably the worst idea I’ve ever heard. You are presupposing guilt, and basically making the statement that a trial is a mere formality. Though the current system is becoming more aderversarial by the minute, we still have the right to presumed innocence in all matters of the court until convicted. Convicted by a group of regular citizens, who have the charge to consider the individual merits of the case. While drawing bright lines is necessary for drafting laws, juries alone, with perhaps only the supreme court, have the right to interpret the spirit of the law. a power that is significant regardless of the verdict it returns. They in effect are the causation of case law and precedent, not lawmakers.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, * except things that piss us or our agents off will be illegal, * or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Careful between the line reading of the 1st Amendment clearly shows this as illegal.

Am reading the wiki link ( and plowing through the numerous wiki sub-links) and at the moment I only have WTF! to say.

I will respond more fully later but initially am thinking that this is a racism sickness rather than an intrinsic fault with jury nullification.

John Peter Zenger? Fugitive slave cases?

It seems pretty obvious that jury nullification is a net positive or a net negative solely based on how well the laws, behavior, and morality all currently correlate. Antebellum, helping runaway slaves escape was illegal, and a lot of people did it. Jury nullification; net positive. After the war, there was horrible racism-inspired violence by a lot of people. Jury nullification; net negative.

So, if you believe that there is currently a large body of often-enforced law that is totally out of synch with morality, then you probably are strongly in favor of jury nullification.

I think racist inspired nullification can be solved by making sure the juries are not lopsided. Twelve white guys who are members of the KKK sitting in judgment of a black guy (or their accused white-guy buddy) is not going to get a good result.

Either force a more even jury pool or force a change of venue and that problem can largely be solved.

Nonsense. Please point to those statements made by posters in this thread that, in your estimation, “presuppose guilt”.

This one.

The jury returns a verdict of Guilty or Not Guilty. Until they return a verdict of Guilty, the accused is to be considered innocent in the matter of the case. Guilt and innocence have a more complex meaning then “did the defendant physically engage in the behaviour proscribed by law?” In most cases, that is enough, but in many more complex ones they are also weighing the intent, circumstances, and where allowed previous record or character witness presented by the defense. A person who steals food to eat has physically broken the law, That doesn’t mean that the jury must find them guilty of theft.

Conducting trials in the manner you are advocating reduces the defense’s position to nothing more than either an alibi or a technicality. Considering that the vast majority of cases concerning JN are relevant to controversial laws and issues such a system eliminates all ability to create new case law. It is eliminating the both the jury’s ethical decision making, and preventing the defense from presenting a case for justification. THAT is how it presupposes guilt rather than innocence. It makes it a binary position, with no room for interpretation. That is wrong, and the early framers of our legal system placed power in the hands of the jury to prevent exactly that type of abuse.

If you are predisposed to letting off people for stealing to feed their families, then you should get off your ass and lobby to change the law to reflect that view. Most(not all) of the juries today are made up of those not smart enough to out of that duty, further filtered by lawyers trying to game the system in their favor. These are not the type of people I want going into a courtroom thinking the law is nothing more than a suggested path to follow.

But one white juror who is a member of the KKK can get his accused white-guy buddy a mistrial.