"Guys and Dolls" 1955 movie -- why Sinatra for Nathan Detroit?

You are [del]my hero[/del] an evil, evil man.

Sinatra later recorded a version of “Guys and Dolls” with his Rat Pack/ Summit buddies for Reprise. I think he sang most of the Masterson songs. Brando and Sinatra didn’t like each other. Sinatra said Brando should be called Mumbles, Brando described Sinatra as mad at God for making him bald.

Not the only time Sinatra was past over for a non singer. Johnny Carson assessment of Howard Cosell Saturday evening variety show was tennis star Jimmy Connors sang but Sinatra didn't.

I love the music from G&D - have Sinatra’s recording as mentioned above - but I can NOT watch the movie with Brando.

Never did like him as an actor, or a person - let alone the man mangling such good music. Like nails on a blackboard!

This small golden nugget of a story is exactly the kind of thing that led me here to the Dope in the first place. Thank you.

I don’t think I would have liked Sinatra as Sky, and as others have said - Brando does a passable job of singing, and looks great.
I’ve read all the Damon Runyon stories multiple times, but the musical and film are just different entities - the characters ages in the stories mean nothing to the film really. They aren’t sweet scallywags in the books… and they don’t sing.
The songs are fantastic though. My favourite being ‘Adelaide’s Lament’ - genius writing.

MiM