Had enough of back pain and being fat - time to diet and exercise! Advice?

Nope, not a venting thread.

Want me to post about what is working? Sure. Just started, tho - only two days. Surely you realize that there just isn’t much to say, and that necessarily there’s more experimentation than results at this stage.

I have a bag of veggies to wash and chop to bring in tomorrow for snacking. I also have a packet of unsalted almonds for extra protein.

I figured out where best to fit the get-off-the-bus-early walk: after work.

I found out there’s such a thing as a waterproof bandage.

During my lunch break I located a few interesting recipes for interesting breakfast meals, another area where I realized improvements would have effects that propagate throughout the day.

I found a likely pedometer app for my phone and am experimenting with it.

I had a nice walk at lunchtime, experimented with the new app, and found out I walked about 1.7 Kilometers - not bad, for a start.

I found the simple set of exercises I started to do in the evening a few days ago before going to bed are helping with the back pain.

I decided that I still dislike woo in all shapes and forms, that it’s difficult to judge a person’s context at a distance from the comfort of one’s chair, and that often we take shortcuts to do so.

Truthfully you don’t sound like you’re really all in before you even start. Your op is nothing but a huge list of the things you won’t do and why you can’t do them. You get bored exercising. You get ill easily. That’s a terrible way to approach something like this. You kind of sound like one of those people who declares to everyone within earshot that they are quitting smoking every 6 MO.

Eta : I didn’t read the whole thread and didn’t realize someone had already said this same exact thing. Sorry.

I’m a similar height and weight to you - a bit taller, and a bit lighter, but similar. I lost two stone last year (28 pounds) following a fairly simple formula.

• walking. Lots of walking. Average 10,000 steps a day, including one 2-3 mile walk at a brisk pace. I created a playlist of songs I like, all of which were just above my normal walking pace, and I would pound the local canal towpath in time. jog.fm is a great resource listing the BPM of music. I found 135 BPM was enough to push me. I also used a cheap pedometer, and the Android app MapMyWalk, which works in conjunction with GPS to calculate the length of your route and the time you took. It’s free. I took to walking so much that I now regularly go for 10-15 mile day walks for fun. I might be overweight and nudging fifty, but at least I’m getting some exercise. It’s really the right time of year to be starting with this - it’s only going to get better and easier.

• avoid all take away food. I have a huge weakness for the local chippy, kebab shop and Chinese. I re-educated myself to think of how pretty disgusting these foods actually are. Which led on to…

• planning and cooking all meals. My slow cooker (crock pot to our friends over the pond) is a wonderful thing, and cheap. The difficulty I had with my lifestyle was a tendency to - for example - go to the pub, go to a football match, go back to the pub, and then grab a takeaway later. By putting a lamb hotpot in the slow cooker before leaving the house, there’s tasty, healthy food available to come home to at any time. Which leads me on to…

• portion control. Mentioned by others in this thread, and so true. We are all eating more and more than we need to. Get some cheap scales - I got some for a fiver on eBay - and next time you cook rice or pasta, actually measure what you are cooking in line with the guidance on the packet, rather than just chucking it into the pan. At first, you’ll be shocked. But the truth is you can still fill full after eating much smaller portions. If there’s more filler on the plate, you’ll just eat it all.

You don’t need to spend money on this. And you don’t need to join Weightwatchers; or Lighter life; or Diet Chef or any of those things. Don’t buy “diet” or “low fat” foods, which are often laden with salt and sweeteners. And don’t even think about any of the latest fads like the 5:2 diet.

Good luck. Lose the negative thoughts, enjoy walking and cooking and you’ll never look back.

For me, it is easier to change little things than try to conform to some grand diet. There are several diets that I think would help me to lose weight, but I think I would have a hard time starting them cold turkey. Here are some examples:

Paleo–hunter gatherer food. My version would be to simply eat as little bread as I felt comfortable with for each meal. Rice instead of potatoes, for this meal, maybe. Instead of a hamburger, a steak. Problem is I love me some pasta, so I try to eat less of it.

Calorie-counting diets. I tried it, and gave up. Too hard to manage the counting and selecting stuff at the store to fit into the number scheme. My version would be to buy foods that have less calories, period. A coffee creamer that has no calories, splenda, lean meats, water instead of fruit juice, no dessert or simply a smaller amount of it, same with alcohol. You get the picture.

Exercise, of course. The thing is we all know these things, but our brain tricks us. So I think making little changes over a period of time is easier than switching to a fad diet all of a sudden.

Some thoughts in no particular order:

Check with your city’s park system. Very often they will have workout rooms, swimming pools, or organized sports available to the public for cheap or free.

I concur with shifting more of your diet towards protein. Also, leafy greens especially, and vegetables in general. Don’t like vegetables? Make green smoothies, add yogurt, milk, maybe unflavored protein powder, leafy greens, and a little fruit. Tastes mildy sweet and fruity, even though it’s mostly made up of veggies and protein. Plus, if you think of this as eating “more of” good things, you don’t have to focus on eating “less of” other things. Obsessing over deprivation will trip you up.

Good snacks: Almonds. Get the unsalted ones. You must absolutely, positively do portion control on this – do not bring the entire bag and munch mindlessly, ONLY bring about 1/4-1/3 cup – but a handful of almonds has been shown to keep people full for a longer period of time, long enough to offset the “extra” calories they contain. You end up eating less in the long run.

Speaking of, never eat mindlessly. Calories, often a LOT of them, sneak in that way. Eat on purpose, pay attention to what you’re eating. Don’t eat because it’s there or because you’re bored. Get the junk food out of the house.

This is a bigger lifestyle change, maybe something to ease into, but totally worth it: get rid of processed foods. Get cookbooks or look for recipes online but cook everything from whole foods ingredients. No soda, no ready-made meals-in-a-box, limit eating out. It does take more time and planning (we usually do one or two “cooking” nights a week, though, and eat leftovers the rest of the time). But the big bonus here is that it will, in general, be cheaper to do this. You will also not be consuming preservatives, HFCS, and other non-food chemistry which can cause unpredictable side effects on your body. The good news is that if you stick with this long enough, your tastes will adjust so you will naturally prefer healthier choices, and the consequences of eating crap (e.g. indegestion) won’t be worth it to you anymore.

Don’t drink your calories. Don’t fool yourself that your standard grocery store fruit juice is good for you – it’s so processed that it’s essentially sugar water. You’re better off actually eating fruit. DO drink a lot of water. 2 litres a day for someone who’s moderately sedentary. My trainer recommended that I drink at least 4-5 litres a day. (I usually hit between 3-4 so I’m still working on this.) And yes, during the day, I often pee once an hour. Think of it as an excuse to get up and stretch and move, which you ought to be doing at least that often anyway.

Most important – and this is going to take some trial and error – you need to figure out what changes give you a positive feedback loop. Willpower can get you through for a while, but in order to make this a permanent lifestyle change, you will need to find it rewarding in some way. That’s going to be different for everyone. For me, it’s a number of things: I hate how I feel when I’m prevented from exercising for more than a couple days. I love the performance aspect of circus arts so want to become stronger so I can properly perform them. I prefer the taste of unprocessed foods, and actively dislike processed stuff.

Find exercise that’s fun, which depending on your personality might be group activities or it might be solitary ones – but even if it takes a while to find it, there is SOMETHING out there that you will enjoy. If one type of activity leaves you bored, check out something else. Go swing dancing. Bike. Box. Play ultimate frisbee. Take swordfighting classes. Don’t limit your thinking here, because this is the thing that a lot of people (including myself for a very long time) stumble over. I thought I didn’t like exercise growing up. Turns out school just didn’t offer the right kind of activity, and had they had circus classes, I would have LOVED exercising. Don’t fall victim to this blind spot.

Also, the thing that helped me the most? “No more excuses.” That’s what I told myself everytime I thought I was too tired to get up and exercise, or wanted to revert to old habits. Do I want this or not? If yes: no more excuses. Do it. And I did, and lost around 65 pounds, and aside from intermittent medical issues (e.g. cancer kind of puts the kibosh on the exercise schedule) have kept it off for more than a decade and counting.

Well of course there is, would I lead you astray? ::insert inocent smiley::

Now it sounds like you have a plan AND are taking some positive steps! Nicely detailed. If you care to keep posting what is working and what isn’t, I’m sure you’ll get more help and advice than you could possibly use (or want to)!

I think you’re doing great, Lars Arun. I’ve been in your shoes, so I have an understanding of what you’re experiencing. In your first post, your comments about, “CAKE!! CAKE!!” had me rolling because that’s ME. One or two bites wouldn’t do it, must devour the entire thing. I just recently discovered that exercise is the antidote to those cravings. I try to do more, but if I’m active for just twenty minutes a day, while they aren’t entirely gone, they’re manageable. I hope the same holds true for you. That’s just walking or pulling weeds in my yard, not anything like intense running or power lifting.

You’re doing the right thing by experimenting with what works for you. It takes gradual changes (and education) for them to become habits. Please keep us posted!

Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I are adjusting our life, and we aim to do it slowly but permanently, rather than jumping into a different lifestyle and cold-turkey it out. We tried, it didn’t work. On the positive side, it looks like I’m convincing her to join in. That would be great!

I also got a couple of books from the library about exercising for one’s bad back. Maybe that’s a way to start exercising, aiming directly at the issues with the back, gradually improving it, and working in other types of exercising when things get a bit better - which is going to take some time, I’m afraid; despite exercising as advised by the physiotherapist every day, my back has been very stiff and uncomfortable when I get up for the last few days.

Ok, I’m going to do something I never do, which is to post before having read the thread. Sorry if this has already been covered.

(Bad Carol! Bad!!)

I lost 55 lbs a few years ago over the course of several months and all I did was count calories using a strategy similar to **Doctor Jackson’**s. I used a online calculator that told me how many calories a day I should eat if I wanted to lose 2 lbs per week (1500 calories). I shot for 400 calorie breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Two one hundred calorie snacks (mid-morning and mid-afternoon). I always made sure I’d eaten at least 1000 calories before I left work so that I wasn’t starving by the time I got home (which is a sure path to ordering pizza).

I was starving for the first two weeks. You get past it. Drink a lot of water. Many people think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty.

Plan your meals. You must plan your meals. Protein with every meal and snack.

It got very easy very quickly, especially when the weight started coming off consistently.

I ate whatever I wanted as long as I didn’t go over my calories and I didn’t suffer, period.

As to exercise, I subscribe to the Weight Watcher’s adage: You lose weight in the kitchen, and get fit in the gym. Exercise is awesome for many reasons, but you must eat fewer calories if you want to lose weight.

I know you can’t run, but for other Dopers who might be interested, Couch-to-5k programs totally work and quickly. I got fit very fast and I would have never have thought that possible.

Small but significant steps continue. This evening after work I am going to the swimming pool with a friend. Got my waterproof plasters and my new swimsuit and googles right in my bag. I think. Lemme just check. Absolutely possible I forgot.

Edit: Yes, they’re there, I didn’t forget them.

Nice! Keep posting results, it will keep you accountable and inspire others!

I had forgotten to update! Last week I went swimming not once, but twice, which is way over what I expected, and I also managed to do a considerable number of pool lengths. I had to stop to gasp for oxygen much less frequently than what I expected - the last time I restarted swimming I could not even do a whole pool length. Now I’m shopping around for the best monthly subscriptions.

I find myself often waking up with a very stiff, painful back and it’s uncomfortable to walk around until the back muscles warm up. I thought of doing more exercises in the morning (I usually do them last thing at night), but I’m not sure it’s a good idea to stress out muscles that are already in pain.

Last week I also wasn’t very good with meals - there were dinners out, a Carnival party for children just at lunchtime (I should have eaten before going, but there wasn’t time), and a couple other occasions. I think I’m eating too many almonds. I have to behave better this week.

I might end up having to buy a better personal scale. The current one is misbehaving.

Apart from the issue with eating, little successes feed back into larger successes, and so on.

If you guys have books or web sites for exercises or woo-free yoga (which I refuse to believe don’t exist), do post them, I’ll appreciate them a lot.

As a data point, I’m not a person who has ever had back troubles, but when I began going to the gym regularly three months ago I did start to have a sore back when lying in bed at night. Eventually it went away. So to some degree, your back pain might improve as you keep working out.

The most important thing to remember: Eating cures hunger. Nothing else.

Learn to recognize hunger, eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are no longer hungry.