Hague: war on cannabis lost

Therapeutic drugs have health claims to their efficaciousness even if they are only implied or by word-of-mouth. While I support the right to try experimental therapeutic drugs, I also support, at the very least, the government using its bully pulpit to let consumers know which drugs don’t work, if not restricting their use, and letting them get away with directly employing false therapeutic claims is right out.

Recreational drugs on the other hand are not primarily meant to treat any disease, so there is no government interest in protecting consumers against relying on them when they don’t work.

I have never tried it and never intend to but I do believe that it should be decriminalized, as well as other drugs. Not because I think it’s great stuff but because I hate the impact on our government and our civil liberties that fighting it has had. We don’t need to have so many folks in jail, we don’t need cops given liberties to preform, what should be, illegal searches and seizures. Courts keep widdling away rights in order to accommodate this war on drugs and not only does it need to stop, it needs to reverse.

I didn’t get anywhere near high enough from that, I’m calling trading standards! :mad:

Am I the only one who was confused by the thread title? I thought it was referring to the capital of the Netherlands, which has long been famous for its lax drug laws.

And I’ve never partaken of marijuana and never intend to, but I do think that it should at least be put in a lower schedule, and I’m on the fence about full recreational legalization. But I do oppose medical marijuana laws, for the same reason that I oppose the lack of regulation for other “herbal medicine”.

Why would you be confused? The capital of the Netherlands is The Hague / Den Haag.

You can’t expect a largely US board to know who William Hague is. Also, the capital city of the Netherlands is Amsterdam.

Indeed. I’m not entirely unfamiliar with English politics: I know that Teresa May is currently Prime Minister, I know that Boris Johnson (former mayor of London) is a secretary in her government, I know that Nigel Farrage is involved with UKIP and was a Brexit advocate, etc. However, I’d never heard of William Hague, and when I first saw the title of the thread, I, too, assumed it had something to do with The Hague.

But I expect even a largely US board to read the OP - or at least the mouseover - and to look at the linked article if they open the thread.

You’re right: The Hague is the seat of the government. An interesting distinction.

I had the same reaction: since when was there a war on cannabis in the Netherlands? :confused:

Canadian PM announces Oct 17, 2018 as the date for legalization.

From what I’ve read there actually has been some push back in the Netherlands on the coffeeshop system the last 10-15 years.

And both bills, C-45 and C-46, have received Royal Assent.

Well the queen needs it for her glaucoma.

I believe that they prefer the term administrative assistants.

Ha! :smiley:

Based on appearances, Johnson’s portfolio is Tragic Hairstyles.

The coffeeshop system seems like a hamfisted way to run the system. It has to be grown illegally, purchased by the coffeeshop illegally, and sold to the end user illegally (but “tolerated”). If you are going to legalize it, then legalize it; why go to such subterfuge?

My guess would be that when they implemented it they didn’t want to run afoul of all the international anti-marijuana consensus and the treaties they were a part of that affirmed that. Canada can get away with full legalization now because that consensus has crumbled.

I will not. The stuff doesn’t get me high, and I have tried. If I am already tired, it makes me sleepy, but if I am not tired, it does nothing to me. And I’m not a smoker, so I need hash brownies, or something-- something you have to go to some trouble to make well.

As far as this happening in the US, Indiana recently legalized Sunday alcohol sales (from noon to 8pm-- you still have to wait until after church), something I thought would would never, ever happen, so now I’m never gonna say “Never” again.