Half-way through 2004: The Best in Movies so far?

Recent additions in bold
[ul]
[li]Eternal Sunshine[/li][li]Garden State[/li][li]Coffee and Cigarettes[/li][li]F 9/11[/li][li]Napolean Dynamite[/li][li]Before Sunset[/li][li]The Dreamers[/li][li]Kill Bill V2[/li][li]Control Room[/li][li]The Clearing[/li][/ul]
New films on the way by
John Sayles (Can’t wait!!!)
John Waters (The trailer has a plastic water bottle!!!)
Mike Nichols (This one actully looks good!)

Besides a few movies from 2004 out on dvd already, I’ve only seen three movies in the theater so far this year, and two of them (Spiderman 2 and Big Fish- you know what movie from 2003 is better than both of them that you’ve never seen?Foolproof) will not show up on my list of favorite movies for the year, unless we make lists of 100 best for the year in December…

So far in 2004 I’ve really liked:

Harry Potter:tPoA
Butterfly Effect

That’s it so far.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was very, very clever and wonderfully executed with a string of fine performances. It was a standout and I had thought Adaptation was too clever by half and stole the medium for the massage to Kaufman’s ego.

Kill Bill Volume 2 was so derivative and self evidently money grubbing that it made me like Volume 1 less in retrospect.

I have twice seen shorts for some Christmas extravaganza, voiced in part by Tom Hanks. It is about some train to the North Pole. It looks like a cinematic feather to the back of the throat.

The Polar Express. It’s based on a kids’ picture book.

I’ve only seen seven movies that I can remember this year.

[ul][li]The Terminal (A)[/li][li]The Last Samurai (A. 2003 release but saw it in 2004 in the theatre.)[/li][li]Farenheit 9/11 (B+. Good movie but will lose its potency after November. Hopefully.)[/li][li]Eternal Sunshine… (B. Only because I was sick and distracted. Will need to watch again.)[/li][li]The Bourne Supremacy ©[/li][li]King Arthur ©[/li]Spiderman 2 (C-. I know I’m in the minority here but I didn’t care for it much at all.)[/ul]

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and what I saw today: The Manchurian Candidate. I tend to watch a whole slew of movies in the fall during the Oscar Corridor, so I’ll have to revisit this thread.

The padding they’ve had to add to make it movie length looks ridiculous!

By the way, even though it’s a kids movie does anyone else find themselves a bit irked that they give away the present that the kid gets from Santa in the trailer? I’m actually surprised thay didn’t give away the secret of the sleigh bell, too:

(spoiler for those that haven’t read the polar express book)Only people that believe in Santa Claus can hear it

From my above list, put The Bourne Supremacy at number 7 and bump the rest of them down. Tomorrow I’m going to see a few movies (not sure which ones yet) so we’ll see if any changes need to be made then.

I’ve seen few movies this year, but I haven’t been disappointed in any yet. I loved Miracle, but I am also a major hockey geek so it carries extra weight for me. Kill Bill 2 and Shrek 2 were outright brilliant, but the big prize for me goes to Spider Man 2. As a Spider Man geek, I loved this movie. As a movie geek, I loved this movie. It’s so good, I can actually see it possibly getting some oscar nods. It’s a long shot sure, but it was sooooo damn good!

Heck, Spider Man 2 was so good, my girlfriend who is a movie snob and has never even read a comic book took me to see it a second time. She didn’t even want to see Kill Bill 2 twice in theaters, and she loves Tarantino.

Off the top of my head in no particular order:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Napolean Dynamite
F 9/11
Spidey 2
Kill Bill 2
Dodgeball
Miracle
Butterfly Effect
(I dug it, so sue me)
Anchorman
The Bourne Supremacy

HATED it:
Eurotrip
Day After Tomorrow
White Chicks
Scary Movie 3

revision 2…

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  2. Kill Bill Vol. 2
  3. Garden State
  4. Spiderman 2
  5. Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter,…and Spring
  6. Spartan
  7. Osama (saw it at the Toronto Int’l Film Fest)
  8. The Bourne Supremacy.
  9. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  10. The Terminal

I don’t plan to watch it. Even the trailer seems to go on forever… I like the pictures in that book, but the story itself is fairly boring. Which, given it’s a picture book, is pretty sad. Why don’t they make Toot and Puddle or Click Clack Moo into an animated movie/show?