Hallowe'en Costumes

PunditLisa said:

Chances are it is illegal to carry a sword. However, as yet another collector of all things sharp, I can tell you that this law is rarely if ever enforced for weapons that are part of a costume, any time of year. I’ve run around carrying knives, swords, and even a battle axe once or twice, and never got a second look from police or security folks.

One thing that might help public acceptance is a “peace knot.” Use a ribbon or some rawhide to tie the sword into its scabbard. Clearly, this only works with swords – there’s nothing to tie an axe into, and a mace or some such is only safe if you can’t swing it at all.

If I get the chance to dress up this year, it’ll be the fantasy/renfest garb (complete with hand-made moccasins) and a Viking-style sword. Again. I need some new toys.

–Da Cap’n

Well, for Purim, I’ve dressed up as Batman in a completely homemade (by me, not by someone else in my home) costume.

Last year, when we were a family of four, our family dressed up as Goldilocks and the three bears for Purim. I was Papa, my wife was Mama, the then-youngest was Baby, and my oldest was Goldilocks (he’s a boy, but our religious tradition is not to cut a boy’s hair until his third birthday). We were a major hit!

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Yes, it’s probably not legal to carry my sword around in public. That’s why I only put it on when I get to the party, or to work, or wherever it is that I want to show off my costume. While I’m driving, the sword stays safely in its box, in the trunk of the car.

I normally don’t tie the sword to its sheath, because that makes the costume look funny, but I plan to start doing so because of an idiot who tried to draw the blade last year. He put his hand around the sheath and slid it upward; if my hand were not resting on the pommel, he’d have pulled the blade free, and sliced his palms and fingers.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

AuraSeer, ever notice how many jerks like that turn up when we wear swords?

Mayhap you should have let him draw the blade, and let experience and stitches teach the lesson.

Two problems with that, Cap:

1. He might attempt to sue me for negligence, claiming that I didn’t protect him from his own stupidity. (It happens.)

2. None of my blades has ever drawn blood, and I plan to keep it that way.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

When I was a kid, I wrapped up my head with a bandage, and set up a fake cast. I had fake blood and bruises. Around my neck I had a steering wheel and a sign that said “Student driver”.

I would love to get together with all my buddies and go as the guys from Resevior (sp) Dogs. We’d probably get mistaken for the Men in Black or something, but it would look cool anyway.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.