Halloween Songs

“Dies Irae” from Verdi’s Requiem. Some commercial is currently using it in a tongue-in-cheek way.

“Totentanz” (dance of death) by Liszt.

For funny songs, check out the Dr. Demento playlists for Halloween at http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/playlists.html.

Swamp Witch - Jim Stafford

Spooky - Atlanta Rhythm Section

Who can forget Grim Grinning Ghosts from Disney’s Haunted Mansion. Barenaked Ladies recorded their own version.

From the same album, you might want to also consider Black Widow with the Vincent Price intro.

Michael Jackson, Thriller.

No Spill Blood
No One Lives Forever

Both by Oingo Boingo.

I seem to recall them having even more Halloween-y stuff, but I’ve recently moved and my CDs are still boxed up, so I can’t check.

“When The Night Wind Blows” from Gilbert and Sullivan’s Ruddigore might work…

Charlie Daniels Legend of Wolly Swamp seems appropriate
There’s another “country” one I don;t know, somethign about witch selma blair or something, all I remember is one line “EEEEEEE!!! another man done gone”

Lots of Rob Zombie would work, too.

Try “Dragula” (and no, that’s not a typo).

A few more to add to your list:

• “I Walk on Guilded Splinters” by Dr. John;

• “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” by Jimi Hendrix;

• “Superstition” by Stevie Wonder;

• “Friend of the Devil” by The Grateful Dead;

• “Sympathy for the Devil” by The Rolling Stones;

• “Voices Green and Purple” by The Bees;

• “Night on Bald Mountain” by Musorgsky (many versions); and

• “Don’t Fear the Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult [NDP awaits inevitable reference to SNL sketch with Christopher Walken]

Helloween by Halloween.

“Hell” by Squirrel Nut Zippers

“Dream of a Witches Sabbath” from Symphonie Fantastique - Hector Berlioz

“Graceful Ghost Rag” - William Bolcom

How has this thread gotten this far with no mention of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins? His rendition of “I Put a Spell On You” should be at the top of your list (accept no substitutes); “Little Demon”, “Alligator Wine”, “Feast of the Mau Mau”, “I Hear Voices” and pretty much everything else he did would also work (with the exception of “Constipation Blues”, which is unlikely to provide a suitable party atmosphere).

“Black Sabbath” - Black Sabbath

Horror Show (entire album) - Iced Earth

“Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All),” “All Hallow’s Eve,” “Creepy Green Light” - Type O Negative (Just go ahead and buy the entire Type O Catalog–they are da Halloween bomb.)

“Scarecrow” - Ministry

the song title is “Marie Laveux” (sp?), but i can’t recall who covered it at the moment. (for some reason i want to say it might also be from the Charlie Daniels band, but that could just be due to suggestibility on my part.) it’s part of the CD list i’m creating for the Haunted Barns staging area. burning a mix of classic and Classical horror themed songs for play while patrons are waiting in line. i’ll see if i can find more info when i’m back home.

another Classical piece is “Funeral March of the Marionettes” (sorry, can think of exact spelling of the actual French title either.) most everyone of a certain age knows it otherwise as the theme music from Alfred Hitchcock Presents…

also from Berlioz’ Symphonie Fantastique - March to the Scaffold
more contemporary, not already mentioned songs from my list:

The Kingston Trio - Zombie Jamboree (From The Hungry i); With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm (Sold Out)

Toh Lehrer - I Hold Your Hand In Mine (possibly An Evening (Wasted) With…)

From the Dr. Demento “Spooky Tunes and Scary Melodies” CD - Castin’ My Spell on You (i have no idea if this is the same song as the one by Screamin’ Jay, but this group singing it is definitely NOT him.) also “Blood”, probably better known as “My Son the Vampire” by (?) Alan Sherman.

and who did “Witch Queen of New Orleans”?
<< after Preview >>
OMG, how could i forget???
Weird Al Yankovic - Nature Trail to Hell; Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters from a Planet Near Mars; Slime Creatures from Outer Space

Don’t Go Down to the Quarry (lyrics)

Performed by Peter, Paul, and Mary (audio sample on page)

Mad Monster Party (soundtrack & audio samples)

Boo.

I second Rib Eyes picks. You cannot go wrong with Type O.

I would also suggest these…
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand
KMFDM - Virus
Megadeth – I Aint Superstitious
White Zombie - I’m your Boogieman

Anything from the first “The Crow” soundtrack…
The Cure - Burn
Machines of Loving Grace - Golgotha Tenement Blues
NIN - Dead Souls
Violent Femmes - Color Me Once
Thrill Kill Kult - After the Flesh

“Now it’s all Hallows Eve - the moon is full
will she trick or treat - i bet she will
she will - happy halloween - baby”