Harry Turtledove-In at the Death

Boy, talk about cheap shots…

So tell me this Skip: I was talking about the book when Merijeek showed up with a personal and political attack on me. I feel your moderation on this subject is, uh, just a bit slanted against me, after all, HE was the person who hijacked this thread into the personal and the political, not me. If I decide to continue discussing this, should I do it here(because all I’m really asking for is a clarification on your ruling in this thread, why me and not him?), In the pit(who would I be pitting, and why?) or somewhere else? I really don’t understand what you want. Could you please clarify it for me, and tell me why I’m the target of your moderation and not Merijeek?

You were both told to knock it off, Dave, so your complaint about one-sided moderation rings pretty hollow. By definition, it’s not one-sided when both sides are addressed.

Furthermore, after eight years and over eight thousand posts, your cry of “Woe is me, whatever shall I do?” smacks of mendacity. You know full well that all comments/arguments/discussion of moderation belong in the Pit; you were even told in this thread that further comments belong there, so stop playing stupid.

Do not bring the subject up again in this thread. We’re done with this hijack.

Didn’t Harry Turtledove make some goofy World War 2 alternate history series with aliens or something? I never gave him an honest shot because of that, but this series sounds interesting. Do you guys think I should give it a try?

Yeah, I found that a bit hard to buy, too. The History channel did a documentary a little while ago about the small city that had to be built for the Oak Ridge center which was part of the Manhattan project; it held tens of thousands of people. That gives some idea of just how expensive this project was, and what huge amounts of resources had to be devoted to it. Another thing: the Project wasn’t all that well-kept a secret, either.

Right. The “goofy series” you’re talking about was his World War series, which actually wasn’t all that bad, I don’t think, but to each his own. I’d give this one a try. Pick up “How Few Remain”, which is the introductory book to the series, and also works as a stand-alone novel. If you like it, you’ll probably like the series. If you don’t, then at least you’ll only have wated the time reading one book.

Finished it! Can we post without spoilers now?

Turtledove is somewhat erratic in his quality. I gave up on his WW II/Fantasy Darkness series, but the Worldwar/Colonization books were pretty good. The Victorious South series is also good, but the quality sagged somewhat in the middle. How Few Remain was definitely the best of the series. His historical fiction as H. N. Turteltaub is very good, better than most of his alternate history. IMHO, his best work is his stand alone AH. **Ruled Britannia ** and In The Presence of Mine Enemies, about a Spanish ruled Britain in 1597 and living as a hidden Jew in the Greater Germanic Empire in 2010 respectively, are 2 of his best.

Sure, why not. I figure everybody’s read it by now. So, what did you think?

But it was a fun kind of goofy. :wink:

Okay then!

Well, I liked it a lot. I called it about halfway through that Turtledove would not leave the door open for yet another sub-series, but would have the war end and spend the last few chapters showing the aftermath. I don’t see room for an epilogue, although you never know. If it does happen, though, it would have to be with like, Major Toricelli and Joshua Blackford and some guy from the Josephus Daniels. He’s taken these characters as far as he possibly can.

And as far as being halfway through, I rarely drink these days, but after about the third superbomb, on top of Lavochkin’s massacres, I had to have a whiskey-and-diet. This was an experience, believe me. But it was well worth all the time I invested in the series.

Yes, I do think Carsten has skin cancer. What else could that be? At least now the endless reminders that Sam Burns Easily have been justified. Poor guy, though; I’m glad we didn’t have to see him get the diagnosis.

Poor Dowling, too. A lot of these characters ended on a down note. He’s on the shelf; O’Doull is bored in Riviere-du-Loup, not that I blame him; Grimes is stuck; Potter and Rodriguez are burnt out; and others will be jumping at every dropped pin from now on. That’s how it is, though.

And I also thought Potter would get plugged in his last scene. Glad he didn’t, though. I still like him and always have. He may have been on the “wrong” side, but he is a true patriot. And the fact that he was never implicated in the attempted coup seems to indicate that he’s clever in ways Featherston could never fathom.

And what delicious irony for Featherston. His Army career was crippled because of a black man, and it was a black man who left him dead in a ditch. I always get first crack at these books, with Mr. Rilch saying, “Don’t tell me; don’t tell me!” Last time, I couldn’t let him see me brooding about Scipio. This time, I’m glad he wasn’t home at the time so I was free to jump around saying, “GO CASSIUS! It’s your birthday! Go Cassius! Go on with yo bad SELF!”

The real-world references were fewer and less :rolleyes: inducing this time, except that I could have done without Clark Butler being told “Frankly, I don’t give a damn.” I did squee when Eric Sevareid was on the radio, though. And it took me a second to process “King Edward and his family.” Then I caught on: since the USA and England are not allies, Edward VII never met Mrs. Simpson, and therefore never abdicated.

Now, what was so godalmighty important about Goodson Lord’s sexual orientation, that O’Doull had to be shown wondering about it three times? This has come up before, with Enos Jr. wondering why the same guy is always there when he wants to sleep, and Moss thinking the guerrilla who washes a lot is being femme until he realizes it’s part of being stealth. Is Turtledove implying that homosexual is going to be the new black, or what?

Anyway, I think I’m going to skim through the series from the beginning. Not word-for-word, but just checking to see how many foreshadowings there have been, and how the threads were interwoven.