Has anyone been to any Museum Ships? Thoughts on best ones?

Another vote for USS Hornet.

Will give this a second strong recommendation. Since many museums in London are free, and some of the ones you have to pay admission aren’t great value, but HMS Belfast is worth every pound.

Been to a lot of the above, only one I’ve seen and has not been mentioned was the USS Lexington, an Essex-class carrier now based in Corpus Christi, TX. It’s a sister ship to the Yorktown in Charleston.

But if you ever visit Stockholm, see the Vasa; you won’t be disappointed.

Flight Crew would be more accurate than Pilots.

Despite being on a carrier, I rarely interacted in any meaningful way with the Flight Deck or Bridge. My work was generally from the O3 level down to the bilges when needed. I was a Snipe after all.

I’m pretty sure I recall the escalator being off in port.

But can you actually go inside the Vasa? I’m sure it’s interesting just from the outside, but going in would be amazing.

IIRC (and it’s been a couple of years), you can access one of the decks, but not the whole ship (it is, after all, 400 years old and sat at the bottom of the water for centuries). But the whole museum experience is well worth it, IMHO as always. YMMV.

Synchronicity. I just got a book of the Elissa.

I was there in 2017 and you can’t touch any of it. There are ramps and balconies that let you get real close though, and enough timbers are missing to get a good look inside.

The Niña is a working reproduction of one of 1492 Columbus expedition caravels. It is a traveling museum ship. I have been aboard it twice on the Mississippi River. I was amazed at how small it was.

Interesting, there is a replica of The Half Moon that sails the Hudson River. I’ve sailed next to her about 3 or 4 times now. Mostly on The Clearwater and once on the Adam Hyler I mentioned above.

So the Half Moon was Henry Hudson’s ship. It is very cool to the see the replica under full sail.

It looks like the La Niña isn’t touring in 2022. It is drydocked for repairs due to hurricane damage. Nina & Pinta Caravels

It still holds up.

You get HMS Victory, HMS Warrior, Mary Rose and loads more besides. The only disappointment is that you get chased around Victory in short order; but that’s the pressure of visitor numbers.
You’ll never do the museum justice in a day, but the usual ticket lets you make repeated visits till you’ve seen every attraction. Allow 2 days!

+1 for HMS Belfast in London. Here’s a strange-but-true:

Not sure where this name came from. I mean USS Intrepid, USS Abraham Lincoln is not a museum :slight_smile:

Which one? If there is a new one out I will have to get it.

Book is new only to me. “Sailing Ship Elissa”
1998, College Station, Texas A&M Press.

I am seriously bummed: they do not have the Night Show any more, it was discontinued in 1995! :angry: The audience sat in these bleachers and when the sun went down, a narrative show was presented where different areas of the ship were lighted as various voices enacted the attack where the NC took a torpedo hit. The guns were rigged with some kind of gas that would ignite as the officers called Fire and a huge explosion ripped through the night when the torpedo “hit.” It was a blast (pun intended)! But, no more.

A damn shame, it is – they must have been doing something right to keep a family audience entertained. We went a few different times over the years and we had four kids from 15 years old down to six and we all enjoyed it immensely.

An aside: the NC had/has a resident alligator (maybe more than one) who hung out by the gangway and ate whatever was thrown to him/her. When the Night Show started, the booger would scurry away as fast as it could; it knew the explosion was just minutes away.

What’s the deal with reptiles and battleships? :slight_smile: I took this pic at the USS Alabama:

I think the gators are waiting until they have a big enough grouping and then they’ll seize control of the tub and be Lizard Pirates! The scourge of the backwater berthings. Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of Corona, matey! :smile:

It was not in the as-built Hornet but was added later during the jet era when pressure-suited jet jocks found it more awkward to get from the ready room to the flight deck.

The area across the water has become a lot more built up by the battleship, I imagine people probably complained about noise every single night.