[QUOTE=commasense]
What laxative did you get, and what flavor?
[/QUOTE]
Oh, gosh, I’ve had so many. I had testicular cancer when I was 24, so that meant a good, thorough prostate exam just in case (yowza!) and myariad CT scans, which require drinking barium (IIRC) to clean our your innards. Then, because of all the aspirin I was taking, my stomach got all messed up, I was scoped for that (from both ends, but at different times); then I’ve had blood in the stool, which turned out to be internal hemorrhoids (I think I started a TMI, GQ thread on that, but I can’t recall—it would have been a while back). So, I’ve had quite a few coctails, and I cannot tell you which one was which, and what specific experiences went with what.
What I can tell you is that they are all nasty to drink, IMO. Now, I must add caveat lector here, because everybody I have talked to has not found the taste to be as horriffic as I found it to be; I may be a special case. It helps if you can chug it; take each dosing as quickly as you can, and if you are one of those who can win a beer chugging competition, chug it like that. Don’t taste it.
The taste is why I recommended the pills, if possible.
Reading the responses above, I’m now recalling it being a little hard on the anus, but I don’t know if it was acids or just tenderness from wiping so much. Either way, maybe try applying some A&D ointment or vaseline on (and maybe just inside) your anus, that might help prevent discomfort. Let us know, it may be a good trick to keep on hand.
All told, apart from the taste, I really didn’t find the experience to be that bad. Unpleasant? Yes, but compared to some of the medical stuff I’ve been through, I don’t consider it to be a big deal. Just stay home, find out what you can eat (clear jello, broth, or whatever they say is okay) and have plenty of it on hand, and make sure one bathroom is reserved for your use. Oh, and have toilet paper—and maybe a wet wipe.
Then get down and dirty: it helps keep you humble! 