Has cake frosting changed?

For very thick chocolaty frosting my favorite is chocolate ganache. Its like having a mound of fudge on top of your cupcake. And then you can just throw away the cake part.

Nutella makes a luscious chocolate frosting! :o

By that I mean it is a luscious chocolate frosting.

This is how my mother made frosting and this is how I make it (only sometimes vanilla instead of almond). Nothing better.

My mom used to make that gooey, marshmallowish stuff from egg whites in a double boiler. Good stuff, but I never see it anymore. The best icing I’ve had lately has been the cream cheese kind.

In my case, the caramel frosting of my youth, using caramelized sweet condensed milk, is fast disappearing. Now, bakeries mix in some egg-based cream that dilutes the sweetness and reduces shelf life: “Consume on day of purchase.” :rolleyes:

My mother used to use the Jiffy white frosting mix when I was a kid. It came in the same type of box as the corn muffin mix, which is still around. I haven’t seen the frosting mix in eons, but oh, I loved it!

Baker’s recipe is standard baker’s buttercream. I make the same if I’m doing a cake at home except I usually use vanilla instead of almond and sometimes use liquid coffee creamer for the milk/cream, depending on what flavor profile I want. I also sometimes use another recipe which uses mostly shortening but also adds an envelope of Dream Whip topping mix for the creaminess factor. You can’t even tell it’s in there.

Somebody asked about chocolate. It’s been ages since I’ve made chocolate frosting from scratch. I used to use a recipe which was basically melted fudge (not ganache) which was whipped until it was spreadable. I’d have to go through my books to see if I still have it.

Oh, and canned frostings are the utter devil. They’re good in a pinch, but only for a pinch. I’d never ice an entire cake with it. YMMV.

I love cream cheese frosting. Put it on REAL red velvet cake…yum.

I’ve been an amateur cake baker for many years. I have never and will never use canned frosting. I just can’t do it. I also don’t like whipped cream frosting. Gimme some good buttercream!

As for chocolate frosting, this is my go-to recipe. It is delicious and super easy and quick (although it needs a couple of hours to set). You do need a blender though. And it is pretty soft - not good for detailed decorating.
Rosie’s Fudge Frosting

I don’t have a can of frosting handy to check but do they use High Fructose Corn Syrup for sweetener now instead of sugar? That would really suck.

I add equal amounts of cocoa powder and powdered sugar, and when it comes to thinning it I add Hershey’s syrup.

For a fudgy style icing I use a comepletely different recipe.