[QUOTE=jjimm]
I’m going to respectfully disagree. The crowds at performance of the Water Music or Messiah were watching the Next Best Thing, performed with the latest cutting edge musical technologies (Glass Harmonica, anyone?), same as us.
Sure, they might possibly have turned up to hear some dude strum a lute or toot on a crumhorn, but they had let that style slide because they were, as we are, in love with innovation, and what was the most popular musical form at the time. Don’t get me wrong: the talent behind much of it is, of course, immense; but it isn’t necessarily prejudice that means “classical” music doesn’t get the mass attention you think it deserves. It’s just because it’s old.
Get with it, granddad!
[/QUOTE]
Get with it yourself, sonny.
I wonder what future generations will listen to, when today’s “classics” are performed with AD2300 cutting-edge technology. Why do you think they have to resort to this, rather than compose something new that modern audiences can respond to? If that’s what you call “innovation,” you’ve set the bar pretty low.
I do have one caveat, though, and admit my inconsistency. I cannot stand hearing “ancient” (pre-baroque) music played on “original” instruments, especially the ones that sound like wheezing, distressed cats.