Has homosexual behavior ever been observed in invertebrates?

It’s just a phase they’re going through.

When I first saw this thread title I mistook “invertebrates” for “introverts.” :o

“So, daddy, that one is a daddy-long-legs and that one is a mommy-long-legs?”
“No dear, they are both daddy-long-legs.”
SPLAT!
“We’re not having any of that sort of thing going on here!”

Didn’t we already go through this with ladybugs?

She danced just like her back had no bones.

IIRC, in addition to hermaphrodites , some species begin as female and change to male later in their life.

How do we know that animals are gay not just horny? :slight_smile:

This is a serious question. Has homosexuality (partnership male to male) ever been observed?
I find it intelectually dishonest to equate a male Penguin shagging a male Penguin to homosexuality.

After all…

Prison Rape!

In the case of the “gay” penguins who were in the news a while back, AIUI the two males did appear to have formed a pair bond, much as male and female penguins normally do. It was not just sex (if, indeed, it was sex at all), let alone rape.

Of course it was in the stressful situation of a zoo, so this does not tell us with any reliability whether this really ever occurs in nature.

Many of the cases shown as homosexuality in articles and documentaries are mostly just shaggings seen in nature. I don’t know about this Penguin case. Got a report I can read?

Scientific American: Bisexual Species: Unorthodox Sex in the Animal Kingdom

Trevor

So, according to you, it is not ‘real’ homosexual sex if they enjoy it? :dubious:

Why, exactly? If a male penguin shags a female penguin is it intellectually dishonest to equate that with heterosexuality? Plenty of humans have sex with other humans that appears to be just shagging (at least if observed from similar intellectual distance as when observing penguins).

I do see the point that it’s tricky to equate human and non-human sexuality, but that applies across the board (IMO), not just in the case of homosexuality.

But that IS homosexuality, by definition. It’s intellectually dishonest to say otherwise.

Prison rape is also homosexuality (though not by choice of the victim).