Has The ACLU Ever Complained About This? (Fire Dept. Crosses)?

Only works in some languages though… la Cruz Roja, la Media Luna Roja, el Rombo Rojo (wich frrrrrrrankly has too many rrrrrrrrs). Of course that’s to be expected given how many languages there are.

So, does having a religious symbol (cross) on a (public building) fire house violate the establishment of religion clause?

Which has the explanation that the knights of st john , under this banner, took on the Saracens, and had to fight fires to do so… hence got labelled as the first fire fighters. “Because of their selfless heroics, the Maltese cross has come to symbolize a willingness and commitment to brave danger in order to rescue others from a fiery death.”

Nothing religious in it…

Only if it would be reasonable to conclude that the symbol is an endorsement of Christianity. I learned just in this thread that the symbol is based on a cross, to me it has just always looked like a flower. After learning about the history, I don’t think it’s an endorsement of Christianity, so I’d say it’s fine. It’s the common firefighter symbol, which is derived long ago from a Christian cross, but there’s no longer a direct link.

It’s not a religious symbol. It’s a firefighter symbol that was derived from a religious symbol.

Well, yeah, that applies to most of life.

Thanks! Great research.

An actual Jesus-y cross, standing alone? Probably. As a general rule, SCOTUS has held that old religious symbols (think WWII memorials and the like) can stay so long as they can [del]invent[/del] find some sort of secular or historic purpose for the display. Newly displayed religious symbols, on the other hand, tend to get short shrift.

Establishment clause jurisprudence is a bit of a mess.

We recently had a mess with a silhouette of a solder kneeling by a cross in a nearby town.

The cross looks similiar to those at arlington national cementary, but they said it couldnt be displayed on public ground. I suppose it must have something to do with the establishment clause you refered to. It ended up getting moved across the street on someones private property.

Was the ACLU involved in that?

My bad, I thought it was aclu, but it was actually americans united against seperation of church and state. Disregard

Quite the opposite. It was actually Americans United FOR Separation of Church and State.

Correct. Its been a long day…

Headstones at Arlington generally look like these: Arlington National Cemetery - Wikimedia Commons

Those headstones typically will only have a cross if the soldier was a christian, and jewish soldiers may have a star of David, muslim soldiers a star and crescent, sometimes no symbol if the soldier had no religious preference.
There are crosses at Arlington: Arlington National Cemetery - Wikimedia Commons
This one’s where Robert F. Kennedy was buried in 1968.

There are some deceptive pictures of Luxembourg American Cemetery in Europe (where the First Amendment is not the law of the land) claiming those crosses are Arlington though, which just adds to confusion.

Courts have mixed feelings about crosses displayed that aren’t part of an individual’s choice regarding their interment:

Quote from pg. 12 here

A couple of random thoughts here:
Labor leader Cesar Chavez wore a “mezuzah” because he said Jesus wore one. He said, “He certainly didn’t wear a cross.”
When I hear about a cross, I think about the flag of Switzerland. Or the crossed palm trees in front of an IN-N-OUT hamburger place.

Yes, and sometimes when they invent those things, they only demean religion instead of upholding it. They say things like “In God We Trust” doesn’t actually mean anything. It’s another good reason for keeping religion and state apart.

P.S. did some digging and found this hilarious exchange involving Scalia denying that a cross is religious:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_10/020327.php

It’s too bad rank blindness to one’s own biases isn’t an impeachable offense.
Powers &8^]