Have you eaten at a store lunch counter?

Jimmy’s Food Store in Dallas.

It’s the only place I know of where you can get an authentic Italian beef sandwich.

It’s weird to because the store itself is so crammed with inventory you can barely stretch your arms out. And the tables are hidden behind crates of various items.

Well, I bet you wasn’t in New Yawk City! The only place to get a real genuine egg cream! :slight_smile:

I used to get a hamburger and a coke for lunch at the Woolworth’s on Tremont Ave. in The Bronx in the 50s and 60s. It was probably one of the last stores to have natural wooden floors. They had such a good feel to them.

One of my aunts worked at the lunch counter at Kresge’s and another at Block’s, so whenever we went to the city, we went to see them there. The Rexall in my dad’s hometown also had a lunch counter, as did the one in my hometown. The one in my hometown served up some righteous chicken salad.

My aunt used to take us to the** Avalon Diner **in River Oaks (Houston). We’d sit at the lunch counter and drink chocolate malts. You’d get a fountain glass PLUS the tall metal container that held another full glass.

I haven’t been there in ages, but there are recent reviews online that mention the lunch counter.

You can also find lunch counters at diners in most small Texas towns. I’ve eaten at many of them when traveling between Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc. The hamburgers at those places are the best. They always slap the buns down on the greasy cooktop, which just adds to the flavor.

Until the 70’s there was a small restaurant in the Walgreens at the now defunct Turfland Mall in Lexington. There was also a soda fountain at a nearby drug store. They closed it down in the mid-70’s and I don’t remember if it served lunch.

The Frostee Freeze in Salt Lick KY is part diner and part country store. I don’t know if that counts when I was a kid we ate there a lot.

I remember eating at a Woolworths diner when I was a little kid, mid 1970s. No idea what I ordered, but I was a pretty fussy eater.

I also at Lazarus. Here’s one of them. I imagine as a kid we ate at the informal restauarant

Woolworth’s on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley in 68-69 while I was going to Cal. I used to get the ham and lettuce sandwich on white toast with butter on the bread. It was great. I would order cherry Coke or chocolate Coke.

I’ve eaten at cafeterias in a Sears and a Co-op, but that was in the '80s.

Growing up, Woolworth’s, Kresge’s (yes, we had them), González-Padín (local retailer, oh bitter day those doors closed); even the first few years of JCP down here they had a lunch room. The lunch counters were the child-Delirious’ introduction to a proper club sandwich and to banana splits.

Woolworth’s, Save-On, and an actual restaurant in Macy’s (Houston Galleria). I’m pretty sure I got burgers and fries at a K-Mart. Reminded me of the cafeteria at the middle school I attended. Even had blue haired lunch ladies.

Woolworth’s down on Broadway in the Bronx, early 70’s. And once at Barney’s old Seventh Avenue store, 1980. I don’t know that it was even a lunch counter, exactly, it seemed more like a dressing room but a friend’s father was springing for PBJ’s all around, so how was I to worry?

The Woolworth’s in Gadsden, AL had a lunch counter. I don’t specifically remember eating there but I’m pretty sure we did sometimes while shopping with my mother and grandmother. This was when I was a kid in the early-mid 70s.

Woolworth’s in the Bronx, in the 1950s and early 1960s. We would occasionally get hot dogs or other treats there when my aunt went shopping.

The W.T. Grants in Kansas City, Kansas had a long lunch counter with some sort of conveyor belt that would bring the food out on the top belt, while the dirty dishes would ride back on the bottom (to the best of my recollection). Still remember the hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream.

When I was a kid, there were competing pharmacies across the street from each other, Friedson’s Pharmacy and Gregory Drug. We never went into Gregory Drug because Friedson’s had the lunch counter staffed by a Lucy, an older black lady who knew the names of all the neighborhood kids. Also used to visit the Kresgee’s downtown.

I ate at the lunch counter at Woolworth’s in Ventura, CA in the '70s. We also had a department store called The Broadway at the Ventura mall, and they had a restaurant called “The Chafing Dish.” It wasn’t a lunch counter (more upscale) but it was inside the store.

Also went to a coffee-shop thing inside Harrod’s in London when we were there in 1997. Had ice cream, but I think they had a full coffee-shop type menu.

Before Walmart added McDonalds/Subways to their stores, they did have (in at least some of them) snack bars. Popcorn, fountain drinks, hot dogs, dayglo cheez, frightening chili, microwaved burgers etc. Yes, I did eat there. This was the classic old small town Walmart so there were not a lot of choices for places to eat. Everyone was THRILLED when McDonalds originally came in.

Then everyone bitched b/c it wasn’t a Subway. (The McDonalds in the store I worked in the longest didn’t have any of the ‘grilled’ chicken or Egg McMuffins. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?)

The Woolworths on 5th & Morrison had a soda fountain on the north wall, a lunch counter on the east wall and a cafe on the south side, I must have eaten there at least once. ISTR eating in the cafe on the tenth floor of Meier & Frank kitty-corner from there. I have seen people eating in the Deli area next to Grocery at the Fred’s near here, and I have bought food there, but only to eat elsewhere. Several grocery stores around here have tables for eating deli in-store. But most recent, my mother and I had lunch at the place inside Nordstroms last time I was in Portland – a little fancier than a true lunch counter, though.

LOL. I remember when I was a kid, anytime my mom said she was going to K-mart I would be beside myself because I knew that meant I would be getting some of the best nachos ever known to mankind, along with a cherry Icee. (70’s)

The W.T. Grants (or just “Grants”) my family used to shop at was in Carmichael, CA (a suburb of Sacramento). The cafeteria was called the “Bradford House”. I remember one time my little brother blew the paper wrapping off a straw at me and caused me to spill my grape soda all over my pants. It’s a good thing they were navy blue or else I wonder never been able to wear them again.