Have you ever unacquired a taste?

My mom tells me that when I was little I liked cottage cheese, though I don’t ever recall liking it. Also, leftover pizza. I used to eat the stuff all the time but the last few years if it’s not fresh, I won’t touch it.

Russell

I used to really, really love prawn cocktail flavour crisps. Now, I despise them with every fibre of my being.

Many years ago. I decided to join my coworkers for Friday Happy Hour. I called my (now ex) SO, but for reasons unknown he didn’t wish to join us. At the club, it was 2-for-1, and I was drinking wine like it was water. After a couple of hours I started feeling not=so=good and called SO to come get me; he refused (I don’t know why). I decided that the only thing to do was to keep drinking. Eventually, a small group of us left to get breakfast. Meanwhile, SO relents and goes to the club to get me, discovers I’m no longer there, and goes home to sit on the porch and wait for me in fury. A couple of guys offer to drive me home from the restaurant. It was a small car, and I arrived home sitting on the lap of the guy in the passenger seat. SO was waiting on the porch and was not happy.

SO’s revenge came several hours later, at 5 a.m., when he wakes me to announce that we’re going to the beach. I am horribly, painfully hung over and in no shape to do my usual share of the packing, so we wind up at the beach with no umbrella, no towels, and nothing to drink. Hangovers and blindingly bright hot sunlight do not mix, so I went to sit in the shallow water to cool off. As many times as I had been to the beach, I had never realized that the water teems with tiny fishes who, if you are not moving, surround and nibble you.

Eventually the sun went down, and SO had no choice but to release me from the torture. But since that day, I can’t even think of wine without feeling like I’m burning in hell with thousands of tiny fish ripping my flesh.

I recently picked up a bad stomach bug. The last thing I ate before I ralphed was Pop Secret Homstyle Microwave Popcorn. It used to be my favorite microwave popcorn (and popcorn’s basically my favorite food). Now, I can’t touch it, though I can eat other brands, as long as it’s of the “covered in fake butter” ilk.

I also remember really liking egg nog as a kid, but I can barely drink a small glass of it now. Same with pancake syrup. And eggs; I remember loving eggs as a kid. Now. . .ick.

I used to like raw mushrooms in salads. Now I don’t.

Susan

I stopped eating tomatoes for a very long time and only recently have started eating them again.

Some things I just can’t eat anymore: Chef Boyardee, Kraft cheese slices, Oreos, baloney, and Kraft Dinner. Lots of kinds of candy, too, like Nerds and Pez. Just too much sugar all at once.

Oh, hey, don’t blame the poor wine for your ex-SO’s sadistic behavior!!

Cola drinks. I used to be addicted to Pepsi and would drink any cola, but when I was pregnant with my second kid, I was sick the whole time and it ruined colas for me for life. Even if I’m very thirsty, I can’t drink 'em.

I would eat seafood, particularly clam chowder and my dad’s fried fish, until I was about six or so. I remember eating fish in our backyard during a big family fish-fry (my dad only fries fish in huge lots, and so we invite everyone over), then suddenly thinking “This is gross” and never eating it again.

Pickled beets and Ranch dressing/flavoring.

Eating contests are good ways to unacquire a taste.

Goodbye cherry pie and watermelon for about 15 years now.

I used to drink pepsi and only pepsi. Now I much prefer coke. My friends are very confused.

Onions. Once upon a time, I loved onions with a passion. My sandwiches were all made with extra onions. I used to sometimes saute an onion and eat it for dinner. I used white or green onions in every salad I made. I made onion soup regularly. Then I had the misfortune of falling in love with a man who hated onions. It totally changed my cooking and eventually I gave up eating them even when we went out, because he would make comments about my breath. The guy can smell onion at 1 ppb or something. Anyway, after a couple of years, I don’t really like them much anymore.

Pizza doesn’t really do it for me anymore either.

I’ve had that, “Wow, this is disgusting” thought mid-bite, too. It’s pretty weird when it happens while eating something you normally love. Most of the time, though, it has been temporary and I can go back to eating that food eventually.

One taste that I have un-acquired is sausage. For a long time, I wouldn’t eat them, but my husband fries them up and serves them with pasta and I eventually gave in. All went well until one day when I bit into a little bit of bone in the sausage. Now, even the smell of them frying makes me feel a bit ooky.

I used to drink a lot of soda pop (soft drinks, cokes, pick your regionalism). As of a few years ago, I suddenly found them way, way too cloyingly sweet to tolerate. I’m happier with ice water now.

There’s a Chinese restaurant in my neighborhood that makes a sweet-hot Szechuan shrimp dish that will win you back to the crustacean fold. :slight_smile:

Well, I used to be an omnivore, and now I’ve been a vegetarian for six years or so. Does that count? I don’t have a real ethical objection to eating meat, I’m a vegetarian largely out of habit. I’m going into the Peace Corps and my recruiter has strongly urged me to reintroduce meat into my diet before I leave, and I can’t seem to bring myself to do it, even though I know perfectly well that I used to like carne asada and chicken fajitas.

I used to like artichoke. I still like the hearts okay, but hate regular artichoke.

Growing up, I drank milk all the time. I still put milk in my cereal and such, but never drink it straight. Yech.

Obligatory drinks: no more vanilla vodka for me, thankyouverymuch.

Mountain Dew. I used to drink 2-3 1-liters every day. One day I just couldn’t taste them anymore and just quit. That was well over 2 years ago.

This is like… sacrilege or something. Perish the thought.

-signed
An onion fanatic

Seafood…shrimp, crab, lobster, that sort of thing. One day I just sort of thought, “Yuck!” and I haven’t eaten it since. No real reason. I don’t miss it at all.

There were several things I couldn’t eat for years after puking them up while pregnant. My son is 7½ and I can just now eat a tiny bit of tuna, like maybe a bite or two of a sandwich and enjoy it. I threw up tuna while in labor. Up until that moment, I loved it!

1. While living in California, fresh Hawaiian papayas were a real treat.

Later I moved to Hawaii and started working in a papaya packing plant. The beautiful, tree-ripened fruit was thrown away because it was too old and couldn’t be shipped. We were allowed to eat as many as we wanted and even bring some home. I think I had six the first day and brought home just as many. After a week though I could even stand the smell of them let alone eat one.

Now 30 years later, I can eat them, but they still bring back the memory of eating too many of them and I don’t enjoy them nearly as much as I used to.

1. During the summer when I turned 14, my friends and I used to get drunk and walk to the local YMCA dance. (Older brothers who knew even older friends used to get us the booze.) We drank everything from vodka and orange juice to beer.
    One night we got some Old English 800. After 3 cans, I got so sick that even today ANY beer smell (let alone taste) makes my stomach turn. Coming up on 40 years now I haven’t had a drink(alcohol) since.

This last year I realized I didn’t like egg nog anymore - which kind of saddened me because I use to love it and it was one of my favorite holiday treats. However, I think its just due to the drop in quality of most eggnog sold as of late. It seems entirely too thin. It’s suppose to be thick and unhealthy, dammit! I also noticed that I don’t like pumpkin pie as much as I use to. This is even more devistating.

However, I use to *hate * tomatoes, and now I rather enjoy them. I’m also becoming more tolerant of mushrooms, garlic and cabbage.

I still quiver over the thought of eating onions, peppers and creamed corn though…blegh.