HBO to do "Songs of Ice and Fire"

This could be the greatest news in the history of pop culture.
Or it could suck. But if it does, we haven’t really lost anything. And HBO has a damn good track record.

This is so strange - my boyfriend and I have been spending a week discussing “wouldn’t it be coll is HBO did Song of Ice and Fire?”

We must be psycic or something.

The big question is, will HBO catch up with GRRM before he finishes the last book?

While it’s all well and good that he’s writing the first season, normally I’d be all for it, I’d rather him spend the time finishing the series.

I’m dying for a Tyrion fix, man, come on!

Beyond the dragons, I was thinking more along the lines of locations: the castles that don’t have real-world stand-ins based on how they’re described, the Wall. Plus the occasional, trippy vision by one character or another.

Maybe not too expensive, but it’s still extra cost added on to base costs that will basically match… Rome’s.

I took it to mean that GRRM was writing one episode (opener?) of the first season.

-Joe

You know I was watching the first season of Rome last night and I thought, “It would be cool if HBO did A Song of Ice and Fire, but it’s probably too similar to their other works.” And now this appears. Fear my mighty mental abilities!

Adapting one book a season is about the right pace. They’ll need to pad a little bit and fill out some subplots to keep things together from week to week but I’ll take a little padding over major gutting any day. And Martin actually writing episodes is a very good sign since television production is controlled by the show’s producers and writing staff. If he is seriously involved in the production then the adaptation may be much better than most (not that it’ll stop complaints).

The San Jose Mercury reported yesterday that it’s still possible that HBO will do another season.

Do you guys have any stock recommendations? :slight_smile:

Man, I’ll be getting the WoW expansion today and I hear this. Nerd heaven for me!
I’m more excited than apprehensive. I’d prefer to TV series to come out after the books were finished so that if they do suck they won’t taint my perception of the books.

No, but stay out of Kentucky in november :wink:

I’m pysched. I really hope HBO puts the time and money into it that it deserves.

For previous casting threads, see: Your dream cast for the "Song of Ice and Fire" movie(s) - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board and Cast The Movie: A Song Of Ice And Fire - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board