"He don't lick that off the grass!" quote query

Never heard it. But I’m sure I’ve yelled that (something very similar) to my dog.

Never heard it before but I would guess it’s a “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” / “when the mother cow chews, the young watch her mouth” / “he comes by trait honestly” sort of expression; meaning you can’t escape your origins.

Another variation: “He didn’t lick that off the stones”

Normally delivered wryly to a parent of a person who has just done something worth commenting on

O stone, be not so!

Surely you’ve both seen the master at work. Weird Al sings “Bob”

Chicago. I’ve never heard it before.

Wow.
mmm

Never heard it before, probably wouldn’t want to know anybody who used it.

Certainly, I have. And don’t call me Shirley.

It’s crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide.

I think I recall yelling that at the dog after I had just sprayed the lawn for weeds.

Never heard of it before, wondered if it has something to do with (metaphorically?) vomiting.

Western Pennsylvania casts a vote for nay.

Upper Midwest, but I’ve never heard it. I assume it means something like “he was born that way”, but I would have to hear it in context.

Regards,
Shodan

Trying to parse out its meaning without Googling: obtaining something by licking it off the grass sounds like a variation on just absorbing something along with the sunlight or breathing it in with the air. Effortless acquisition, that kind of thing.

So rather than “he don’t lick that off the grass” meaning “he was born that way” (Shodan) or “you can’t escape your origins” (The Devil’s Grandmother), it comes across to me as “he had to make some serious effort in order to obtain this outcome, it didn’t just happen” or “a long and complex backstory is necessary in order to explain what happened here”.

Off to Google and to check some of the supplied links, now that I’m sufficiently curious!

It’s not familiar, and not intuitive. (Missouri.)

Thanks for all the interesting interpretations. And special thanks to those who helped me feel less crazy about getting/using this expression.

The waymy family used, “He don’t lick that off the grass” meant something like, “That boy/girl acts just like his father/mother.” (unclear gender roles in my explanation notwithstanding)

Never heard of it. Don’t even seem to make grammatical sense. “Doesn’t” or “didn’t” would be a better verb choice.

Sounds like he bit the wax tadpole for sure.

Never heard it.

did you go to the link in post #18? same thing