Head MRI tomorrow. Is it scary?

I imagine the techs see panic modes a lot. Putting a small cloth over my eyes helped. Still not good but it was better when I couldn’t see how small the enclosure was. Since having the MRI, I’ve had small twinges of claustrophia, mainly in small crowded places. It doesn’t induce panic but it’s uncomfortable.

My major phobia is heights. They’ve terrified me for as far back as I remember. Now if I ever get stuck using one of those small glass elevators packed with people, I’ll probably end up on YouTube.

I do have claustrophobia, and I was very worried about it before my first MRI. The imaging center gave me a Valium (as noted above, they checked to be sure I had someone to drive me home first) that a staff doctor must have prescribed, since it wasn’t arranged beforehand. It was fine; I was relaxed and it didn’t bother me being in the machine. The next time I had one, I didn’t have anyone to drive me, so I went without anything to keep me calm, but it was still fine.

After having MRIs on several different parts of my body, I have to say the breast MRIs are the most entertaining. I was a bit worried about the face-down aspect, but I found the entire setup so hilarious that it didn’t really bother me.

The imaging center I have gone to the most has you change into scrubs, even if you don’t think your clothes have any metal components. Apparently, they’ve seen too many clothing items that have hidden metal. If your hair is long enough to be pulled back, they provide a fabric-covered elastic for it as well.

My dad got a sedative for MRI’s at the VA. He normally didn’t mind small spaces. But the noise and confinement were too much for him.

I’ve had several CT scans and one MRI. It’s always stressful but so far I haven’t experienced a panic attack.

As an outpatient I have never been to an imaging center that would prescribe any medication. I was told to contact my own doctor and take the medication before I got there.

I’ve had several head MRIs because I used to have a hemifacial spasm, or HFS. I posted about my HFS years ago, to share in case someone else had it. It is pretty rare.

I just closed my eyes and tried sleeping. Just go along for the ride. Think of the serenity prayer: you’re not in charge so just chill out as best you can and relax, take it easy. Bring earplugs. They do help.

Mine was a piece of cake, though I got a bit frustrated when they pulled me out in the middle of Sweet Child o’ Mine.

I asked if they could put me back in until the guitar solo was finished. :blush:

If there’s any chance you have bits of metal in your eyes, usually as a result of grinding metal like someone recently did in a thread about cutting out the metal pole from an old basketball hoop, then you need to get your eyes X-Rayed to make sure there are no bits of metal embedded in them. Don’t grind metal unless you wear tight fitting goggles, regular loose fit types of eye protection aren’t sufficient to stop little bits of steel that can fly in any direction.

Well, I’m off. I’m wearing warm socks, as all my shoes have metal bits in them, so I’ll be shoeless in the machine and want my feet to stay warm. Button-up shirt so I can get in and out of it easily to remove the bra.

Fun and games.

Not so. You can’t wear anything magnetic. I’ve worn my wedding ring into all of my MRIs (well over a dozen) without objections from staff or problems.

I think that would have made it worse for me. Yes, it would have prevented me from seeing the enclosure right over my face – but it would also have prevented me from seeing the open air just past my feet, which I kept looking at as reassurance that yes, I could get out. And being effectively blinded would have made me feel less in control of the situation.

I had a prostate MRI – my first MRI of any type – a couple months ago. I was quite nervous on the way there early in the morning, but I didn’t take any benzos to relax me, as I was driving myself home. I’m not known to be claustrophobic, but there was a little period in my 20s when feeling trapped in a space (a car, an El, a crowded room) set me off in a panic attack or nearly so, so I had no idea whether I would relapse into this behavior 20 years later.

Thankfully, once I got on the machine and got into the bore, my body decided to behave and relax. The MRI was nowhere near as loud as I was expecting it, having heard it described so many times by others. I thought it was going to be like a jet engine or something, but with the sturdy headphones playing music, the sounds were quite muffled and it sounded like a bunch of rhythmic clattering, no louder than how I play my music. I mean, I do live under a flight path, so perhaps I’m just used to it, but that’s what surprised me the most.

Opening my eyes, it felt like I was in some sort of sci-fi movie, coming out of a deep sleep in a cryogenic pod on a spaceship or something. I think I was in the bore for about 20 minutes without contrast, and then taken out for the contrast to be hooked up to my IV or started or whatever, and then maybe another 15-20 minutes. The contrast (galadium) was a little odd–felt cold in my veins and left a metallic taste in my mouth, but I was told that would happen. It was actually a pretty neat experience – not knowing what to expect exactly was the most trepidatious part.

Done. I had to remove my bra, but I could wear my shoes into the imaging room, as long as I left them on the floor. As you guys say, it was noisy but not deafening. I had them place a towel over my eyes, but I don’t think it was necessary, and it made me a bit too warm. I never felt anxious, but at the same time I was glad when it was over.

This is a two-part thing. I have to do part two tomorrow at 3 p.m. I asked why and they said that otherwise I’d be in the machine for two hours, which few people can sit still for. Also, Medicare doesn’t want to pay for two different imaging sessions in one day, for some reason. So tomorrow at 3 I’ll return to my friend the imaging machine.

The lab guy was extremely nice, anyway.

I call myself “situationally claustrophobic”, that is, given a small enough space where I can’t bring up my arms (for example to scratch my nose) I get anxious. I expected this would definitely be an issue for the MRI, but I found it fairly easy to close my eyes and keep breathing and pretend I wasn’t in a claustro-tube. The device isn’t skin-tight, it’s only 10 minutes, you’re lying down and have enough space to breath.

Each of mine was about 45 minutes.

Different things work for different people. For me, seeing how enclosed I was was worse. Being able to see the open end didn’t help me at all. I just couldn’t get past seeing the walls around me.

I had a CAT scan once and it was a piece of cake but it was open at the top…Didn’t take nearly as long either but, then again, it felt like my time in the MRI was measured in dog years.

That they are. Fun fact, at least as of a few years ago when I was learning about it, magnetic field intensities are measured in teslas in the SI unit system. These are named after Tesla himself (who pronounced his name “Tezla”). Those superpowerful neodymium-iron-boron magnets have a field intensity near their pole surfaces of about 1 tesla (1 T). Medical MRI machines generally have at least this field intensity, and perhaps more. Somebody here mentioned a 3 T machine being specified for their imaging, for example. As a rule of thumb, an MRI machine costs about $1,000,000 per tesla.

I think it’s more subtle than this. Ferromagnetic substances, like iron, will feel forces inside the powerful magnetic field. Folks worry about metal fragments inside the eye, and some implants like aneurism clips, for fear they’ll jump about scrambling soft tissue. Nonferromagnetic substances may still move about a bit, because of their interactions with the variation in the magnetic field. For example, my gold wedding band, which is a closed loop of conductor like a winding in an induction motor, vibrates. Further back, they would tell me the ring had to come off, but in more recent years they said it was OK (I take it off anyway because I dislike the vibrations). Also, metals confuse the signal, so there are image artifacts around pieces of metal. I have fixation plates in my neck, and both MRI scans and CT scans get image artifacts around the plates, though the effect of the metal is different so the two kinds of scans get different image artifacts. So, the rules about metal are sometimes subject to some judgement (though steel in the eyes or brains, I bet, are non-negotiably forbidden).

It was gadolinium, a fascinating elemental metal that looks about like steel. It’s ferromagnetic below its Curie point temperature, and not so above it (this is true of all ferromagnetic substances). But, interestingly, its Curie point temperature is about room temperature. You can drop a piece in your icewater and then lift it with a magnet, then warm it in your hand and the magnet won’t pull it anymore. Curie point temperatures are usually higher – the chromium oxide they make recording tapes out of is about 150 C, and nickel about 350 (iirc). And you were given some salt of gadolinium, not the metal itself.

I was just talking to a friend about this yesterday. I find it difficult to be on my back because I have chronic bronchitis and a bad post nasal drip, and it is hard for me to manage my airway that way without frequent coughing and forceful exhalations. I was wondering if one could choose to be on one’s front. She said that she had MRIs lying on her front, as part of her breast cancer experience. Turns out she HAD TO be on her front. So I don’t know if it’s ever optional for the patient to lie on whichever they prefer. I do have more MRIs coming up (I’ve probably had a dozen or so) – any insight here would be welcome!

Ah, dammit. Apparently “galadium” is some kind of vegetable. :slight_smile: Yeah, gadolidium I meant.

It is? Huh. Ignorance fought.

Same here. I actually went to google to type in “ga” for the contrast agent, and up popped the autocomplete"galadium contrast." I said “sounds close enough.” Nope.

Now that I look through the results, it seems galadium may be some quirky misspelling or something for an Asian vegetable, as I can’t find any dictionary results for it, not even in wiktionary which is pretty good about these things.

Come to think of it, the imaging center I usually go to is attached to a hospital where my breast doctor has privileges. It’s very likely that she signs off on her patients’ meds.