Headlights in daytime - why?

moriah wrote:

California (and I would guess most other states) have a law that says if you’re on a one-lane road and there are 5 or more cars following closely behind you because you’re a slow-poke, you MUST pull over and let them pass. UNLESS the cars form some kind of a group, convoy, or procession.

How did the cops tell if your cars were part of a procession? Simple. You all turned on your headlights.

I wonder how daytime running lights are going to affect the enforcement of this law…

I’m not flying fast, just orbiting low.

I’m all for DRL’s and running your headlights in the daytime. And this is for just one reason: I-90.

To drive from Seattle to the Eastside in the morning, or reverse in the evening, you’re going into the sun. Whether you’re wearing sunglasses or just squinting, your vision drops to zero when you… enter the Mount Baker or Mercer Island tunnels or freeway lids. Suddenly cars near your blind spot or behind you are invisible. Ask any Briton; tunnel wrecks are no fun.

In ordinary Seattle weather (no glare problems) the DRLs make you visible to people who change their wiper blades as often as their brake pads.

Most funeral directors nowadays stick a little “Funeral” flag on the roofs of all the cars in the procession. IIRC, the flags are held onto the car by magnets.

I think someone else mentioned this in this thread, but I can’t find it.

The Cat In The Hat

Good bloody hell, so (most of) you’re the murderous scum using headlights during the day. The idea is simple, make sure that YOU are seen but in the process make it harder for anyone else to be. Just part of the reinforcement of the concept that it’s a right, not a privilege, to drive–drunk, drugged, blind, or extremely stupid. “Put your headlights on and you can safely make it home from the bar.” “Require airbags and you can survive accidents easily avoided by COMPETENT drivers.” “Drop the speed limits while the technology advances in the other direction–so that the scum of the earth can drive to the welfare office instead of taking the bus.” I consider Charles Manson a saint compared to you evil pea-brains.

[Will this thread ever die?]