Healthcare Myths in America

From here

So, if you are considering healthcare costs only, preventive care may not save a lot. If you count the economy as a whole, it does save a lot. Not counting reduction of suffering.

BTW, this blog from the UK notes that some preventive services might reduce income for providers by being cheaper.
It also notes

5% is hardly nothing. The blog calls for more, but along the lines of trying to reduce obesity, not basic things like checkups and vaccination. I couldn’t find what we spend in the US for prevention, I did find an article saying that people don’t make use of available services now.

It is nice to see that you guys have given up blaming malpractice insurance for the crisis.

Yes. You made the claim, back it up, since I know you were wrong.

Who is saying here that it is unworkable?

And again, what works in a nation that size of a state may not work in a nation 100 times are large.

Still, like i said- I am 100% in favor of single payer. But using other nations is only hurting your case.

Again, this argument is specious.

And many nations dont. Look at this map:

From your link… we are in select company

How about 3-5 times as large? We’re about 4x the size of Germany. We can’t learn anything from what they’re doing?

Systems don’t scale up just fine from 300k citizens (Iceland) to 5 million (Norway) to 85 million (Germany) to 125 million (Japan) and then just mysteriously fall apart when you go to 325 million.

Is there some magic tipping point at 200 million that makes it suddenly too hard to manage? If there is, you are the one who is going to have to explain it, and not just handwave it away.
If there’s any reason why UHC isn’t feasible, it’s because half our government will actively sabotage it to ensure it’s a failure.

Again, I am not arguing that Universal healthcare isnt a good idea. It is. But what I am saying is that “Hey they do it so we shoudl to” is a bad counterproductive argument. It hurts your argument, doesnt add to it at all.

You’ve got that backward. It’s NOT “they do it, we should too” it’s “if all those other people can make it work why can’t we?”

Before my travels I thought very highly of the US, From my travels, I’ve learned that most of that is BS. Healthcare is one of the most prime examples. We are paying for nothing but to line pockets. We are scared by others who benefit from this system into believing their are long waits in other countries while ignoring there are long waits here. Our heathcare in this nation is a disgrace. Yes people do get it, but as what cost and many still go without.

Wow, yeah. Look at how much of the world doesn’t have UHC. And here I’ve been arguing that most of the developed world has adopted UHC and that the US of A is a pathetic exception. Apparently not. The map shows us, for instance, that no guarantee of health care exists in the Democratic Republic of the Congo or its surrounding areas – the surrounding areas being Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi,Tanzania, Zambia, Angola, the Republic of the Congo, and the Atlantic Ocean. I think we can all acknowledge that the Atlantic Ocean has no quality health care whatsoever.

This reminds me of the argument we had regarding gun violence statistics by country, where you insisted that I was using a “selective” definition of what was meant by terms like “first world”, “industrialized”, or “developed country”. This was apparently because it suited your purposes to cite some gang-riddled lawless shithole as an example of a fine nation that had worse gun violence than the USA. You know what? On the subjects of either gun control or health care, I have no patience for those kinds of disingenuous arguments.

That’s a bad way to characterize the argument. It’s more like “these other countries have found great success with these kinds of systems, better than our own in many ways, so we should see if we could realize even greater successes with our large throbbing American creativity and know-how.”

We can, no one here is saying otherwise. But do we want to pay the price?

That’s not the point. The point is that it was claimed that the USA was alone in not having Universal Health care. That is demonstrably false. In any case, this argument doesnt work-* it never has worked, it never will work*. It is counterproductive.

No, I cited EVERY NATION ON EARTH. You cherry picked.

It is a counterproductive argument that loses people rather than gains support. And it is usually incorrect.

You do realize you just called Mexico a "gang-riddled lawless shithole"- that sounds just like something Trump would say.

I do. In a heartbeat. But then, I’ve spent the last decades watching members of my family become ill and die in our jacked up “system”.

At worst it would cost no more than it does now, but cover many more people with less stress and wasted effort. More likely, we’d see some savings. I don’t think we’d see some of the more dramatic savings being claimed, but we’d see some.

Virtually every wealthy nation on earth has UHC.

Mexico implemented UHC in 2012. India and China are working on a UHC system.

The fact that the US is an outlier among wealthy nations is a factor. We tend to be an outlier among wealthy nations on various fronts.

…which particular post are you referring too?

**Broomstick **

“You have to wonder why the US is the only one that doesn’t…”

Dude, if the effing republicans weren’t hell bent on sabotaging UHC there wouldn’t BE a price to pay. We would SAVE money and have better care overall. I know this because every country that has implemented UHC with an actual effort to make it work pays half what we do for health care.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

…that wasn’t the claim that was made.