Hearing an album on vinyl for the first time after you’ve heard the CD/digital

And you have to manually remove and re-insert the CD after side 1 ends.

In some ways it surprises me that we’ve come to accept a lower quality in some things but then the convenience makes it worthwhile. I would much rather speak to someone over a landline than a cell phone because the sound is better and there’s less of a delay. But the cell phone is just so convenient.

I was totally on board with CDs as soon as they hit the market. I was a teen and had maybe 5 vinyl albums (I was mostly buying cassettes). However, my dad had an extensive collection of classical vinyl, which we replaced over time on the CD releases.

We did notice the “AAD,” “ADD,” “DDD” designations on the CDs. In fact, some of the AAD CDs had a warning label disclosing the limitations. Pretty much “this sound is going to suck based on what you are expecting.” Sure enough, those CDs sounded pretty poor, certainly not as good as the vinyl. However, the DDD recordings (Telarc, anyone?) were light years beyond any vinyl. So it worked out better just getting newly mastered DDD recordings on CD, rather than trying to track down the exact same version of the vinyl. Easy enough to do with classical music.

And there should be a little plastic adaptor for singles.

A few random thoughts…

BAH! I have an audio file that is just the pops and crackles off an entire album - i can sell it to them if they want, for that true oldie music experience.

Hey, JAQ, you could lay those over any track you want and sell them as Direct From Vinyl CDs or Digital Files! Double the price for OGG/Vorbis/Lossless… Ca-ching!

My audio-snob friend is also one of those cyclists … and it’s been SO hard not to point out that he’s saving 100 grams by jettisoning his kickstand, but he’s still carrying his 10,000 gram beer belly around…

Fun fact: The first DDD I ever saw wasn’t a high-tech album, it was Ry Cooder (Bop Til You Drop). “The first digitally recorded major-label album in popular music… recorded on a digital 32-track machine built by 3M.”

That was actually the first pop record that was digitally recorded, even before CDs even existed (it was recorded in 1979). Ry Cooder was never happy with it, and indeed it does lack the warmth of most of Cooder’s earlier (and later) recordings. I like the album anyway, there are some great tunes on it.