Hearsay Testimony in Court

Thanks.

And thanks to you, also.

Right. A more straight forward example is one where the prosecution theorizes a missing person, later found dead, was kidnapped at 4:30p.m. A neighbor testifies that she saw the victim at 5:30 and had a long conversation about the upcoming snowstorm. “She told me that I if I didn’t go to the store in an hour, they would be closed early due to the weather.”

The purpose of offering the statement is to show that the victim was safe and unharmed at 5:30p.m. It is not used to prove an early store closure. If it was used to prove an early store closure, say in a breach of contract suit, it would be hearsay and inadmissible (unless another exception applies).

Another example is the “effect on the listener” rule:

Q. Why were you driving on the roads at 5:47 p.m.?
A. Because my neighbor told me that the stores closed at 6:30.

Assuming the store closure time wasn’t an issue, this is also non hearsay. We don’t really care whether the claim about the store closure is true or not, all we care about is that the statement itself caused the listener to do or not do certain things.

It doesn’t prove anything by itself, but if a person is on trial for killing his parents, and a package of evidence is presented, including testimony that he said “I’m gonna kill my parents” then I don’t see how the statement is anything but good evidence.

The statement is used in an attempt to prove the truth of the matter asserted: the defendant intended to kill his parents. I think you are being too restrictive in the term “used as proof.” Maybe “used to attempt to prove” would be a better wording for the Rules of Evidence.

I’m not sure why you would differentiate between “prove” and then say it only goes to state of mind or intent. In a murder case, the State must prove state of mind and intent for a first degree murder conviction. Those are elements of the crime just the same as the fact a person is dead.