Help!!! Bible-readers needed

MK, you’re right about the Simon/Luke 7 thing, but I don’t think that’s what she’s looking for. The jist of said story is that Jesus is kickin’ at Simon’s house and some sinful woman comes in, cries before Jesus and washes his feet. Simon gets upset that the common rabble is bothering the Son of God and Jesus tells Simon that the woman is simply showing her grief at her sins and appreciation for the one who can save her. However, it mentions nothing of morality alone saving you as the woman is throwing herself at the feet of Christ.

I’m telling you, you won’t find anything that says morality alone it a ticket to paradise. A statement like that goes against the entire premise of the New Testament, which is that Jesud is the only source of salvation.

Sara, there’s no such Bible verse. However, it is possible that the story you’re thinking of is something that’s found in Jewish legends. There are a lot of “Bible-type” stories that aren’t necessarily in the Bible. An awful lot of Jewish rabbis who are credited with stories in my copy of Gates to the Old City (edited by Raphael Patai) are named Simon, Shim’on, or Simeon.

It’s also possible it’s from the Mormon Bible, or the Catholic Books of the Apocrypha, or just generally a “happy thoughts” writer from the Biblical era.

Hope this helps.

If you can think of anybody who was posting in the thread, I’ll help you look. Just putting in “Simon” and “Great Debates” brings up 44 threads for me, and hey, life’s too short, you know?