Help build an "American Food" menu

Alas, I would be disowned if I let some wily Canadian curd be touted as better than my own state’s sweetsweet manna. Therefore, I will assume they’ve been smuggled across Lake Superior from Wisconsin dairies. :smiley:

Highly irregular.

Thank you! I’ll be here all week – try the succotash!

Vlad/Igor instead of roasted Jalpenos you might consider Atomic Buffalo Turds
A damn good way to start a meal.

Rocky Mountain Oysters? (nothing offensive at that site)

That part of the anatomy has been consumed for centuries, but the states seem to have put their unique stamp on the preparation.

No, I’ve never had them. Though I did like escargot once I got past my initial judgement, so maybe…

Nah, I’ll pass.

Well, given that Mexico is very definitely in North America (and that people in New Mexico have been eating a form of their food for 500 years or so), I’ll add:

Enchiladas (with red or green chile sauce)
Burritos
Carne Adovada
Mole
Sopaipillas
Indian fry bread (a bigger, flatter version of sopaipillas, really)
Refried beans
Menudo

Of course the Quebecois would claim those dairies are smuggling in Quebecurds.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Vlad/Igor - -

Man, oh, man - that’s a good menu. Let us know if/when you get the restaurant open. That looks like good eating.

Keep in mind that thicker grits are more preferable than thinner grits. At least preferable for me. :slight_smile:

Speaking of grits, ever heard of shrimp and grits (lowcountry dish of the Carolinas)? It’s more lunch/dinner than breakfast and it’s wonderful.

Biscuits and gravy is another good breakfast food of the South. Yummy.

What about banana pudding? Red velvet cake?

You’re missing the Pacific-Northwest. Grilled salmon, perhaps?

You also need buffalo(bison)

How about a nice thick pit-grilled Buffalo ribeye?

There was no stuffing on your Thanksgiving plate. I’m sure it was just an oversight.

Don’t forget the ketchup and mustard.

Pizza, I mean pizza with LOTS of cheese.

Chicken fried steak.

Hush puppies.

Deep fried everything.

Egg rolls?

Egg foo young? - I mention this because my friend from Taiwan had never heard of it before.

I also forgot a couple of natives: Oregon grapes and Saskatoon berries. A glass of wine and a piece of pie, anyone?

At a conference once, I picked up what I thought was a fried mushroom…
Now, whenever I have mushrooms, my kids always ask: “Are you sure they’re mushrooms?”

Um, I think I’ll pass on the Rocky Mountain oysters, thanyouverymuch. I haven’t included much Mexican food because there is so much of it that it should deserve it’s own restaurant. I’m hesitant to include American-chinese food unless I can make it clear that it’s of American origin. Buffalo steaks, hmm. Never had them, but it might be part of a surf-n-turf entree. :stuck_out_tongue: I think I’ll also add a Pacific coast seafood that would include salmon, trout, Alaska King crab, crab cakes. I was hoping for any other unique Canadian dishes, too. Menu Version 1.1 will be up in a day or so.

Vlad/Igor

Vald/Igor, in 1994, I went to an “American” restaurant in Moscow. They served tomatoes and iceberg lettuce with mayonnaise, Yoplait yogurt cups, and pancakes with Hersheys syrup. Not that I recommend this menu, but it was fascincating to see Russians’ conception of American food.

Other posters have given a great list. I’d like to add onion rings (never had them anywhere else except Canada) and pulled pork sandwiches, i.e. Carolina-style barbeque.

Uh. You live in North Carolina yet you’ve never had onion rings outside of Canada? What?

And, BrotherCadfael, who the hell serves deep fried testicles at a conference meeting?

Yup, I’ve never had onion rings anywhere else outside the U.S., except while I was in Toronto. I believe they’re a uniquely American food.

Might I suggest adding some cocktails to your menu? Particularly some American originals like the mint julep.

Ah, I see now. My mistake then. Sorry. :slight_smile: