Help! Creative movie fans needed!

*Scarlet Street
The Grey Fox
The Purple Rose of Cairo
The Emerald Forest
Pink Flamingoes
The Crimson Pirate

Ooh, I can connect the colors and foods lists with Kurenai no buta aka Crimson Pig.

You could also do odd actor circles:

Sean Connery / Alec Baldwin in The Hunt For Red October
Alec Baldwin / Geena Davis in Beetlejuice
Geena Davis / Samuel L. Jackson in The Long Kiss Goodnight
Samuel L. Jackson / Jason Flemyng in The Red Violin
Jason Flemyng / Vinnie Jones in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Vinnie Jones / Nick Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds
Nick Cage / Sean Connery in The Rock

thus completing the circle. Of course in your case you won’t want to use crap like Gone in 60, but you get the idea.

How 'bout a number theme:

1. It happened one night
  2. Lock Stock and two smoking barrels
  3. Three Kings
  4. Four Rooms
  5. Nine to Five
  6. Six Days in Roswell
  7. Seven Samurai
  8. Hard Eight
  9. Nine Months?
  10. The Ten Commandments

You could do better for 5 and 9, i think…

Swiddles:

CoyoteFish:

I vote for this idea, and really hope to see the poloriod you put up to go with it.

Not all “art” movies and someone already took my color-movie idea, which I had headed it Personal Prism (yes, actually saw the thread and was thinking of ideas during work and by the time I checked back…well…

White Nights
Crimson Tide
The Thin Red Line
The Red Violin
Reds
The Man with One Red Shoe
Old Yeller (technically–the story of a yellow dog!)
The Green Mile
Deep Blue Sea
Meet Joe Black

A few other ideas I had–some just get you started…

What’s Your Sign?
The Zodiac Killer
Hair
Aquarius (aka Stage Fright)
Capricorn One
Tropic of Cancer

All in the Family or Lovers & Friends
Arkettes
Baldwins
Shean-Estevez
Kirk/Michael Douglas
Carl & Rob Reiner
Coplas
Lovers & Friends
Nicole Kidman & Tom Cruz
Alec Baldwin & Kim Bassinger
Wood Allen & Mia Farrow
Liam Neeson & Natasha Richardson
etc.

Like Night & Day
The Light of Day
Saturday Night Fever
Night Shift
White Nights
Midsummer’s Night Dream
Terminator II: Judgement Day

Time keeps on Slippin’
Midnight Run
Clockwork Orange
High Noon
Midnight Cowboy
Midnight Express
Dawn of the Dead
From Dusk til Dawn
Good Morning Vietnam
The Light of Day
White Nights
Time Bandits
The Time Machine
Back to the Future
Night Shift
Same Time Next Year
Always

I’ve Seen that Face Before
Multiplicity
Parent Trap
Dead Ringers
Twins
Terminator II: Judgement Day

It’s a Seasonal Thing
A Change of Seasons
The Four Seasons
Summer of Sam
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams

January Man
April in Paris
Seven Days in May
Henry & June
Born on the Fourth of July
Red Light August
August (Anthony Hopkins)
September (Woodie Allen)
Come September
September Affair
October Sky
Four Days in November
December Bride
This kind of game is really too fun (and addictive) for me… :slight_smile:

The book store in the Champlain Mill closed, I think. Sorry. That place is dead. And while I used to enjoy Sneakers quite a bit, the Free Press started publishing the health inspector’s ratings, and Sneakers did HORRIBLY. Like stomach-turningly bad. So I don’t go near the place.

No idea about the video store you’re talking about. If I had my yellow pages, I’d look it up to find out the name, but I suspect it is folded. The store I work for is the one everyone comes to for hard-to-find titles, and I have never heard of another good one in Winooski. Of course, I have never heard of anything GOOD in Winooski, but I digress. ::badumbum!!:: THANK YOU! I’ll be here all week.

I’m leaning toward Films for a Postmodern Afternoon. [ol]
[li]Dr. Strangelove[/li][li]Three Kings[/li][li]Throne of Blood[/li][li]Fight Club[/li][li]Pi[/li][li]Richard Loncrainne’s Richard III[/ol][/li]
I don’t want to put anything on my list that I haven’t seen, but I have taken out Lost Highways and Naked Lunch to see if I like them enough to put them next to my name. Any other suggestions? Would Resevoir Dogs count? Any other darkly comedic films that can be considered postmodern? Strangelove is the only one I have up there now. The more obscure the better. Think postmodern.

(great suggestions, I loved JoeyHemlock’s suggestion of using numbers, I’ll have to do that one next!)

Well, if your prime criteria is postmodernity, you have to include RoboCop. I don’t think there’s anything in Derrida, Barthes, Lyotard, Baudrillard, or any other -ard that isn’t explored somewhere in it. And darkly comic it definitely is.

Hmmm, I like the idea you’ve chosen. Some movies that come to mind right away (though I’m not sure how well they fit in the postmodern category):

A Clockwork Orange
Trainspotting
Seven
Run, Lola, Run
Cube (probably not, but this reminds me of Pi for some reason)
Full Metal Jacket (Fight Club reminds me of parts of it)
Tetsuo: The Iron Man (dark, frantic, Japanese movie, very low budget, made with stop-motion animation)

Is “Brazil” postmodern?
I went to dictionary.com for a definition of post-modern, but it was somewhat lacking.

Being John Malkovich is pretty damned po-mo. And Ferris talks to the camera in Ferris Beuler’s Day Off, does that count? :slight_smile: Would Top Gun count as po-mo if viewed as homoerotic allegory?

Excuse me, ignoramus here. Please explain “post-modernism.” I’ve had it explained numerous times, and my brain just can’t (or subconsciously won’t) hold onto the idea. As near as I can figure it means “ahead of its time, usually in a boring and/or irritating way.” Or, looking at the original list “films that are sorta whack.” (though I like almost everything on the list…) Is that about right? Try Wong Kar-Wai, he’s about as frustratingly ahead-of-his-time as it gets. Ooh, no script, how avant-garde! I love the way this shot is giving me a headache! Isn’t it cool how this voiceover is basically meaningless? Also, I think The Limey might fit well with your list, SR.

As an afterthought, my god Johnnie To has made some movies that might fit your definition of post-modern, particularly A Hero Never Dies and the highly-praised The Mission. Probably not available at your store, but worth a shot.

Just looking for an update. Didja go with the naked idea? didja didja didja???

I’m afraid I didn’t go with naked. Sorry, Omni. I ended up doing a list that showcased the wide variety of flicks I love, entitled something clever like Brooke’s List of Sass-o-matic Flicks or something. (hey, it was a week ago. Short term memory is scarce around here.)[ul][li]Dr. Strangelove []Waiting for Guffman []Three Kings []The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert []Fight Club []Dead Again []Throne of Blood [/ul] and others. I can’t remember, I scribbled it off pretty quick. Basically tried to do half PM wierdnesses with funny, quirky comedies. To make me look like less of a goth scarey girl. Next time I go into the store, I’ll get a good list and post it. But I plan on using the ideas donated here in future lists.[/li]
And the job kicks ASS. Sunday the shift supervisor put in Pee Wee’s Playhouse (before 6 we have to play things the kiddies will not be traumatized by in the store) and put the sound on mute. He then put The Pixies on the CD player. It was in perfect sync. I was mesmerized. This weekend I want to experiment with Scooby Doo and The Cure.

This thread reminds me of the first episode of the series Cheers. Diane walks in for the first time, and the guys are all having a game trying to name the SWEATIEST movies of all time. A few I remember from the show:

Alien
Hud
Ben Hur

And I’ll add:

Jason and the Argonauts
Sands of the Kalahari
The Naked Prey
The Bridge Over the River Kwai
The African Queen
Any others?

I was driving through Vermont this week and detoured through Winooski. The video store is Showtime on 35 West Allen Street. Showtime is a local chain with about twenty stores but offhand I don’t know if the others have the same eclectic mix the Winooski branch offers. I will say however that this store has videos I have never seen anywhere else. So being as Swiddles is coyly avoiding naming her place of employment, Showtime will remain my cult video store of choice in the greater Burlington area.

Nemo Bob says check it out.

Oh, MY store is way cooler. Seriously, I’m squeamish about posting the name of my work on the boards, but anyone who is passing through Burlington, email me and I’ll tell you the secret. And my store is actually IN Burlington.

ps: Nothing coming out of Winooski is the best ANYTHING in the greater Burlington area. :slight_smile: