Help me find something to like about Hampton Va.

A 2nd (or 3rd?) on Williamsburg Pottery. Like a retail Barbie Doll, that b*tch has everything :wink:

Also, a place I haven’t patronized, but is on the list is a dinner theater called Rosie Rumpe’s Regal Dumpe. I have no clue what they show, but the name alone has my curiosity up.

Used to drive by Pierce’s going back and forth between Norfolk and D.C. Could never figure out how to get there.

A couple months back after buying a map book of the Peninsula we found it. We were heading down to look at houses and were early for our appointment so as we passed it on 64, I told hubby to find the road that parallels 64 and what exit to take. We’d been missing barbecue, we’re from North Carolina and this was close enough to home style to us.

We picked up some on the way back to DC for dinner.

Forgot to ask.

Let me try that again.

USED BOOKSTORES!!!

I know where the one in downtown Hampton is and know of one in Phoebus. Any others? Where?

Recommendations for good, authentic Italian food. Good wine shops or a shop with a good selection. I guess I could run to Norfolk to that place on 21rst St.

What were your favorite places and/or things to do.

If you really want a fratty atmosphere, try the College Delly across the street. from the Leafe and Paul’s.

The used book store in Phoebus is cool, but pricey – it’s more of an antique book store than a junk used book store. I’ve found some good buys there, though, and maybe you’re not as cheap as I am. For other used book stores – there’s one I know of on Jefferson, but it runs to paperbacks (LOTS of romances, like most of those paperback-exchange stores), and I prefer hardbacks.

The Pottery Factory is fun – in fact, lots of Williamsburg is fun. I don’t get up there as much as I’d like. The Williamsburg Antique Mall is great – they have a terrific Tea Shop on site and at least one large stall with nothing but books. I also love the Mariner’s Museum, although I haven’t been there yet this year.

Personally I wouldn’t have picked Hampton to live – we had to worry about schools when we moved here, so we chose York County – but your neighborhood is one of my favorites. I always take Big Bethel to Mercury and I love the houses back there – lots of character.

I’m thinking it’s about time to get up a Hampton Roads Dopefest – there are more of us than I’d thought!

I forgot the wine shop – there’s a Total Wine on the corner of Oyster Point… and, I think, Denbigh. I pass it all the time, but haven’t been there yet. Also, there’s the Williamsburg Winery, which was pretty neat – I’m no oenophile, though (my policy with wine is like Dave Barry’s with beer – I just drink it and look around for more).

Not Denbigh, Warwick.

Can’t help much with used book stores on the Peninsula, as we lived Southside when we were there and didn’t travel that far for used books. I do know there are a number of rare/fine booksellers on the Peninsula and in Williamsburg, if you are into that.

There isn’t any good, authentic Italian food in Hampton Roads, sorry to say. I’m originally from Cleveland so I was used to getting really good ethnic food, and there isn’t anything in that area that even comes close. There is an inexpensive, casual restaurant in Virginia Beach called Reginella’s that’s run by an actual Italian, though, and that’s as close as I’ve ever come. Don’t know if you want to travel all that distance just to get a pizza, however.

The Pottery Wine and Cheese Shop on Wine St. has a good wine selection. Check 'em out. If you want a large selection, go to the Pottery Factory. They have a ton of stuff at reasonable prices.

There’s an Italian place in Williamsburg called Giuseppe’s. I grew up in NYC and while this place doesn’t knock anyone’s socks off, it does a good job at casual, non-crappy Italian food. It’s also really cheap.

It’s way up Richmond Rd. I can’t recall the name of the cross street but it’s further out than your average Williamsburg tourist goes, in a strip mall with a Food Lion

Frommer’s review (includes directions and other useful stuff)
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moredining.cfm?h_id=13413
(contrary to this review, they supposedly are taking reservations now. They didn’t used to though, except parties of 10+)

E-mailed my self the info on Guiseppe’s, thanks.

Hubby and I collect books, firsts of writers we like. We also enjoy good food and hubby likes to cook (I’m the sous chef). We favor Southern italian/neapolitan cooking

The wine store on 21rst St in Norfolk (Ghent) is also Total Wine now that you’ve said the name.

If you’re in Ghent for dinner try Cafe Rosso at 123 W 21rst St. The have a parking lot in the back on Omohumbro (sp) St. They have pizza and pasta along with daily specials. A favorite of ours.

Fellini’s used to be in that spot before they moved down Colley.