Help me spec out a new work at home PC?

Well that sounds fantastic, and you get both 32 GB of RAM and tons of speedy non-mechanical hard drive space. Well done and kudos!

How was the driving? As in, if you had to take it in for repairs, what’s the round trip driving aspect look like? Half hour each way?

I imagine you must be super thrilled to have not had to put anything together yourself. And it was just so quick. “I’m thinking about getting a computer” (48 hours later) “This thing is fast!” Love it. That might be the biggest advantage of brick and mortar, both for purchase and repairs.

Driving’s not bad-- during rush hour it was about 45 minutes, a bit over 1/2 hour on the way back.

Yeah, brick and mortar stores definitely have their place, so I’m sad that all the Best Buys are closing down. When our wireless router died and the kids started screaming NO INTERNET and I couldn’t WAH, I didn’t think “welp, gotta order a new router on Amazon and wait a couple days”, I thought “I must hasten forthrightly to the nearest Best Buy NOW!”

Matter of fact, I thought my monitors had HDMI ports (I currently use DVI with my old computer) and I knew I had one cable, so I bought a second HDMI cable, only to find that I actually need Display Port. So I will need to drive past like 2 or 3 closed Best Buys to get to a still-open one (still slightly closer than Micro Center).

I also went from DVI on my old machine to HDMI on my current one. (Took me an hour or three after “failing to post” on first startup to realize I wasn’t using DVI anymore. After switching the cable it turned out I had successfully posted on first attempt.)

I mention this only because with the old DVI connection, my monitor woke up and went to sleep quickly. But with HDMI, there seems to be a 4-second delay on the monitor side both waking up and going to sleep. It’s probably because my monitor is terrible, but just throwing that out there in case it’s an HDMI thing.

Question, speaking of DVI and such, my new machine actually has a DVI port, but it’s not part of the video card, it’s part of the motherboard integrated graphics. Since I have one Display Port cable and DVI cables from my old comp, what would happen if I temporarily connected one monitor to one of the card’s DP slots and the other monitor to the DVI port? Just until I can get to a store or order a 2nd cable on Amazon. Would my monitors work in tandem? Would it cause performance weirdness?

Aw, who am I kidding-- I will end up searching far and wide for a store selling DP cables as soon as I can.

My interpretation of those numbers is how your parts work together. The same CPU on a different motherboard might run a little smoother or a little rougher.

As an example, I made two mistakes on my machine. The first is that I paired in I-5 10400 with a Z490 because I wanted a USB-C front port header and didn’t see any on the first dozen B460s I looked at. Mistakenly interpreting that as meaning it only came on Z490s, I paid $80 more on the motherboard than I needed to.

But because I made that mistake, it allowed me to run 3200 memory instead of the B460 max of 2666. And it’s also probably just a slightly nicer chipset. So when I ran user benchmark, my CPU graded out in the 97th percentile. So while it was definitely a mistake, I believe I did get some value out of it.

(The second mistake was that I really wanted a 10 gbps USB-C front port, which the motherboard has but the case front port is only 5 gbps. Still hadn’t figured out how to read USB versions until after I put it all together.)

Probably nothing. Most Ryzen chips don’t have integrated graphics so the one you plugged into the DVI port would just be black with no signal.

I see, ok, so no temporary fix there. Thanks.

Well, sure, common mistakes! We’ve all been there, haven’t we?

Since I’m not a big hardware guy, that paragraph reminded me of this old Steve Martin bit:

hehheh.

I’m glad that your initial impressions match mine. As for the benchmark, there are a few options. First, percentile doesn’t mean much if the window is narrow, which I would assume if everything else is truly identical across all machines. That said, my next inclination would be that many people are overclocking, as that chip is considered highly overclockable.

Were you able to make it out of Micro Center without buying the store?

Just checked and nope, you have a Ryzen 5600x which does not have integrated graphics.

EDIT: On reread, I misread thinking that you had to go buy an HDMI cable. My little commentary on my HDMI experience appears to be irrelevant. Doh!

Check me here to see if I’m being stupid.

My new rig will have RGB fans, not because I want it to look like a unicorn dropped acid and threw up all over my machine but to experiment with. Not having done it before, I think I finally got it all figured out how to do it. Add to that the Phanteks Eclipse P600S has a fan hub built into the case that they talk very little about. Considering my fans and case choices won’t change by the time I pick up the rest of the parts, I’m thinking of getting the fans and case (and maybe the PSU just to reduce the cost later on) and getting that part set up just to make sure I have everything I need for that before doing the real build. Any reason I shouldn’t?

I thought overclocking might explain it. Since it’s primarliy a gaming machine, I’m sure a lot of owners are overclocking their chips.

Well, other than springing for the extra 16GB of RAM and the 2TB secondary drive, I did ok. My wife sees the credit card totals, so I have her to answer to :wink:

Question RE: RAM-- I was going to put in my own since it was one free install item to a customer, but the guy who put in the 2nd drive for me threw in the RAM too. But he initially thought I wanted not to add to, but to swap out and upgrade the ‘stock’ RAM with the 2nd 16GB, which was a better brand. He said he didn’t recommend mixing brands of RAM, even though they were the same spec. But I had him do it anyway, and it seems to be running fine at 32GB with both brands. I figure the worst that can happen is that the inferior ‘stock’ RAM dies and I know what to troubleshoot first if my machine won;t boot, but is there any other concern I might have with that?

I only have DP and DVI inputs on my current monitors (an old VGA input as well, but never mind that). I have one DP cable and one HDMI cable, so I had been hoping to use one of the old DVI cables as a temporary fix. There is a DVI port on my new machine, but not on the video card.

I know, I need a widescreen 4K monitor now, as @Dewey_Finn suggested. Damn you, Dewey_Finn! :grinning:

Is an RGB fan that glowy thing in my new machine that cycles through all the colors of the visible light spectrum? It’s kind of hypnotizing, actually.

Be careful with it if you do get something that crazy big. I think one of the reviews of that or another ultrawide monitor mentioned that the person put it down or flexed it slightly and the glass broke. It’s a danger with such a large, wide piece of glass.

Possibly people overclocking their CPU or memory, possibly just random variations within spec in the components, possibly changes that wouldn’t be reflected in the component list like adding a better CPU cooler so it runs more efficiently and can stay at higher boost speeds longer before needing to throttle down. You’re right not to be worried about it.

It’ll be fine. Worst that happens is the “better” RAM will be run at the same timings/speed as the “inferior” RAM. I would make sure each matching set of slots has the same RAM just to ease any confusion from the BIOS trying to figure out what it’s working with but even that’s not going to end catastrophically.

Speaking of, go into BIOS/UEFI next time you boot up and make sure your XMP “Extended Memory Profile” is turned on. You often need to enable it to get the most from your RAM speed and it might have turned itself off when new RAM was added. Hopefully the Microcenter guy knew to enable it but it only takes a moment to check. AMD processors really benefit from the fastest available RAM speeds.

I’m not entirely sure I understand the question. Are you asking if you should delay ordering the rest of the components until after you set the RGB fans up? (You would definitely need a PSU and probably a motherboard for that. Possibly also an RGB hub.)

In general I would try to buy everything at the same time. If you have to RMA something but didn’t find out until weeks later due to shipping delays on other parts, that could be a headache. Adding ordering delays on top of that could exacerbate problems if something goes wrong.

I’m asking if I should get the fans and case now and do everything except plug it into the fan headers (since I don’t have the mobo) to make sure I have everything I need to get the fans working so I don’t order all the parts and say “I’m missing the …”

Just the case and fans? In that case, sure, no reason you can’t get those early just to be sure you aren’t missing an obscure cable you have to wait weeks for. If you’re definitely sure you want that case and those fans, I see no harm.

I would be surprised if this helped, though. I put good odds on you having everything you need and getting it set up fine and then now you’re waiting extra time for the rest of the stuff to come.

Like I said, first time with RGB fans and so it is hook color up to THIS hub (included) and the power to THAT hub (sold separately) unless you buy ULTRA hub that does both. Oh and we’ll write directions as if you are using LED strips not fans but that doesn’t matter so we’ll make sure to not show you online how you actually hook them up.

On the plus side I downloaded the case manual and in there they make it obvious how to use the built-in hub (and those are not RGB so I feel good there)

Yes.

In your case, you should have a folder under the Start menu named Asus, with a tool named Aura below that. Aura will let you play around with the RGB lighting, or turn it off if it ever annoys you.