HELP! My TV just stopped working!!

Something similar happened to us before Christmas. The TV would turn off at random times while watching it. We’d have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. It lasted like that for awhile until before Christmas when it would only stay on for about ten seconds. It was annoying going through the troubleshooting steps with that time frame.

Anyway, I called RCA and explained the problem, and the operator told me some component in the TV had failed and that it had to be repaired. We took it in for an estimate, but the cost was greater than a new TV, so we bought a replacement. I just can’t remember what it was that failed though. That would be helpful to you because the symptoms are similar. Regardless, be prepared in case it is the same thing.

I’m guessing the high-pitch “whine” is the inductor in the switching power supply.

You probably have a power supply problem. Probably a shorted or open capacitor, or bad switching transistor.

Do you know an electronic hobbyist, e.g. ham radio operator, EE student, RC model junkie, or all-around electronics tinkerer? If so, I’d offer them a case of their favorite beer (or whatever) in exchange for checking it out. Just be sure they know how to properly discharge the HV before working on it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think it likely is something related to the power supply in there. I’m just gonna probably bite the bullet and have it fixed by an “Authorized RCA repair service”. It’s still on the manufacturer’s warranty, so it’ll be free, just a pain in the ass to get done.

Great, now the left surround channel of my lovely Harman Kardon AVR7000 receiver stopped working.
Looks like that one’s off to repair as well.
I just hope they can fix it here in the Netherlands.
:mad:

Sorry if I jinxed you :frowning: