Help settle an annoyance: Can potato chip/crisp bags be stored on the kitchen counter?

This really cracks me up. Why are moms so obsessed with the way things are “supposed to be” and what is “normal”? They really care about rules and seeming proper in ways I cannot relate to. Maybe if I had a kid I’d suddenly have a medical requirement to insist that everything is done “the right way.” Thing is, though, I didn’t know there was a right way to store potato chips. I can’t remember the last time I had any at home, and don’t know where I put them. Either the cupboard or the counter. What difference does it make?

Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot all used to keep their chips on their kitchen counter.

If you have any tendency to kill millions of your country folk, maybe you should listen to your mother.

Are we related? My mom makes the same kinds of comments.

As for “normal,” yeah, it’s perfectly normal to keep a bag of potato chips on your counter. Mine generally go on the cupboard, but I keep my bread on the counter so I don’t forget I have it.

OMG. I lived with someone like this. I thought it was crazy, but since I was basically a guest I just learned how she liked them folded and did it that way while secretly rolling my eyes. Then, years later I realized something. I have been indoctrinated into the Towels Folded in Thirds Way Of Life. They fit in the damned linen closet that way, and it really does look nicer when you open a cabinet and see them that way…so I nicely asked my husband to fold them that way because it was driving me crazy to see them folded in halves even though I realized it was insane and he rolled his eyes but did it anyway…and now…he has been indoctrinated as well.

As for potato chips we leave them on the counter sealed with a chip clip if they ever last more than a few hours…but then, we are not neat freaks in our house…except for our excellently organized linen closet. :smiley:

No.

When you were growing up, did your mom ever tell you that you could do [you name it] your way when you grew up and moved into your own place, but as long as you were under her roof, you were going to do it her way?

If she did (and do any moms raise a child without ever saying this?), gently remind her of this, and note that you are now, in fact, in your own place.

There was a commercial like that a few years ago. It might have been for a mortgage company or something. A guy was standing in the front door of his house, in winter, and was on the phone. “Dad? I’m heating the whole outdoors!”

I have a walk in pantry in my kitchen - so no - because I have this rather large room to hold stuff like bags of potato chips.

But where ever they work for you is fine. A basket or breadbox or something to hold them may make it look more like “these belong here” and less like “I didn’t get my groceries put away” - but you probably aren’t having the photographer for Martha Stewart showing up so who care?

Your mom really needs a hobby.

My vote is, put the chip bags wherever you want them. Your mom can put her chip bags wherever she wants them.

I rarely buy chips, and even more rarely buy them in sufficient quantity that I’d bring any home. If I do, I’ve had them on the kitchen table, on the counter, or, if there’s room, in the cupboard. There’s usually not room. If I had a pantry, I’d keep them there. Or on the kitchen table.

There are no rules. It’s your kitchen and having a bag of chips on the counter isn’t weird. Personally I have to put such things in a high place to keep little hands from getting a hold of them, but I would not think it odd to see a bag sitting out on someone else’s counter.

I do know that some people get twitchy from seeing anything besides appliances sitting out on the counters, though. It doesn’t look “neat” to them. These people should be told that they can do what they want in their own kitchens. I know that’s hard to do with moms.

You are all wrong. They belong in the bedside table so you can eat them while watching TV in bed.
(Yes-I’m single-why do you ask?)

I am a mom, so I can say this with complete authority: Chip bags take up too much valuable cupboard space to prevent crushing; of course they go on the counter! Or on top of the refrigerator.

I hate small appliance on the counters; put your toaster, coffee pot, mixer, etc. away. Then you will have more room for chips!

They stay on the coffee table where they are closest to the TV.

But not if the dog is going to be unsupervised.

I’m not sure what being single has to do with snacking in bed.

Yep. Opened bags go on the fridge, unopened ones go in the pantry.

On the counter I guess – mutatis mutandis that’s how I treat tostadas and corn chips, so that’s how I’d treat potato chips.

My mother comes to visit me sometimes, and if I use the men’s room, I’ll come back and find my blowtorch tucked under the sink, my fire extinguisher somewhere odd, and all kinds of weird shit. She’s not allowed to mess with my kitchen anymore – instead, I’ll set up the chess board if I need to make a phone call or step out for a smoke, and challenge her with a problem. I don’t even play chess, really, but it’s make-work for mama.

My family has never kept them anywhere but the counter top. OK, sometimes on top of the fridge, but mostly the counter top. Never “put away”.

And for the other side of the coin: About a year after my brother got his own apartment he called me to laugh and complain. Apparently dad had visited and drunk all the milk but a couple of drops and put the container back in the fridge, left a tea bag sitting in the sink and a couple of other things that had been constant refrains during my brothers teenage years. Was awesome :slight_smile:

My mom used to ask me “if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you?” so, I was trained by her to never do what ‘everyone else does’ - no matter what it was.

It’s been a lonely life, but I keep my chips where I can find them - usually near whereever I put them.

It’s your house. Keep on the counter what you will. I don’t “put away” the blowtorch, cordless drill, spice grinder, and dog food just because someone comes over!