Help with etiquette of office gift swaps

Our office gift-giving is anonymous so you can give bad gifts (and recieve them) and not worry about feeling bad about it. Because it’s at a family practice, most of our gifts somehow relate to disease-related charities; for example: socks with breast cancer awareness ribbons printed on them or cervical cancer awarness stationary. It makes it easy that we really don’t have any male staff that participate.

Most office party gifts are of the dollar store or home-made variety. That isn’t a bad thing, just don’t worry about it too much. Keep in mind that they probably won’t think too hard about what they’ll get you and you’ll probably end up with a coffee mug painted with a snowman stuffed to the brim with Mini Reeses.

My husband would be the same. We back 600+ cookies every year but he only gets to eat the ones that are broken or really ugly. The rest get frozen so he can’t even sneak one or two later.

By now, he has a cookie hankering you wouldn’t believe and would love some handmade goodies!

I’d agree with that, especially with a $10 limit. The people who get into Secret Santa will be happy to get something wrapped that you put more than 5 minutes effort into. The people who signed up to be a sport won’t care that much. And for $10 you’ll see a lot of chocolate/candy items anyhow, I’ll bet at least one person will get a box of those gold foil-wrapped chocolate ball things.

For anyone who is curious: my giftee seemed genuinely pleased with my cookies. And not just words – he was already munching on some before the ‘party’ broke up, despite the ample food on offer on the tables.
Oh, and guess what I got?

A novelty mug. :smiley: