Helvetica is driving me crazy!

Yeah, but of those 3k fonts on your computer, there are only a handful that you can use on a webpage, unless you want 80% of the people who visit the page to see something different and possible not even readable.

Some in this thread might be interested in this article — Typecasting: The Use (and Misuse) of Period Typography in Movies.

The article amused me anyway, but I also learned a thing or two about some of the common typefaces you see around.

Twenty years ago, it was not much better in an all-Mac shop as you had to mess with screen (or display) fonts and printer fonts, and there was a whole industry devoted to typeface and font management. Amazingly, Suitcase still lives on…

I’ve all but given up on the world - nobody has a yearn to kern, and everyone’s dreading leading. And I want the head of whoever created MS Comic Sans on a stake!

You’re not alone. The creator has said that he never intended it to be used outside a fairly specific application, and only came up with it because of, “the shock of seeing Times New Roman used in an inappropriate way.” Basically, he’s really, really sorry, but the main reason it’s abused is because people suck. Not his fault that when looking for a tool they saw a sledgehammer and thought it could be used to fix the TV.

How about people who use it for their curriculum?

One of the great works of literature of the 20th century, Cvltvre Made Stvpid, by Tom Weller, author of Science Made Stupid, has a brilliant chapter on typography. (His chart of proofreading symbols is an enduring source of joy to editors everywhere.)

His list of typefaces includes Velvetica. That sums it up for me.

I thought it would be boring, but the Typography I course I took for my art degree was actually quite interesting.

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=World_Class_Cities.txt

Always interesting.

If you’ve really got Helvetica stuck in your head, may I suggest a technique to get it out??
Go to the hamster dance site & watch / listen for a couple minutes, then hum the song a time or two.

Soon enough you won’t have any thoughts about Helvetica.
See? Wasn’t that helpful?
:slight_smile:

Don’t learn about METAFONT either. It’s already eaten Knuth and Hofstadter alive, and it is still hungry.

You could start a Windows and Orphans Fund and pay to have them taken out for good.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Try the veal. :smiley:
I admit here, in the safety of the Internet, that I use Comic Sans all the time. I’m also a huge fan of Arial Rounded Bold MT, a variation with smoothed corners of Arial.

I don’t there is anything wrong with Comic Sans. I think there is something wrong with people who think there is something wrong with people who use Comic Sans.

Cartooniverse