Hey Hey the blues is alright - Little Milton RIP

Mississippi bluesman Little Milton Campbell has died in a Memphis hospital from complications of a stroke

His hit record “We’re Gonna Make It” and his 1978 vintage black jacket were on display in Clarksdale last year as part of a “Sweet Home Chicago” exhibit at the Delta Blues Museum.

Not many of these legendary bluesmen left. Thanks for talking with me at the Sacto Blues Festival in 1984. RIP.

China Guy,
Thanks for noting Little Milton’s passing. Have been listening to his records tonight in memoriam. As you might have guessed from lack of response, his fame in the US is under the radar in most quarters, but he was a well-known star on the Chitlin’ Circuit of blues venues in the South on up to Chicago. Excellent guitarist, wonderfully smooth singer, and an incredible band leader, with a tour de force band. He was a legendary figure that every modern blues player who knows a good bit looks up to. Though many here might not know him, he travelled the circuit in a big bus, successful, razor sharp; everyone in Mississippi/Memphis knows who Little Milton is.

This fine memory: Bonnie Raitt appeared on the David Letterman show about eight years back—the lead-in ads were Bonnie Raitt !!!, with Special Guest: Little Milton, as an aside. When onstage, Bonnie played a bit, but let Milton have the stage. I so admire her for that: letting a a great player have the TV time on her name. She knew he deserved it.

I heard that he’d had a series of strokes a few days ago and figured it was just a matter of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I’m still sad to hear it. I never saw the guy in person, but I’ve heard a couple of the occasions when he sat in with the Allman Brothers in recent years.