Hey, Melissa Harris-Parry - you're wrong, you're stupid, you're ugly (on the inside).

Yes, very poor judgment was exhibited. And yes, race was at the heart of the issue. But please, that doesn’t mean that the dial automatically jumps to eleven. I think it was dumb and tasteless to use the picture for a “write the funny caption” bit. It was bound to backfire. And MHP’s laughing was inappropriate. But she realized her error and apologized in a straightforward manner. I carom-pit those calling for her head.

And I double-pit you for making me agree with the likes of jayjay, Hentor and SnoBoarder. This is not the way I hope to start the year! Damn you all!

I’m not calling for her head. I’m calling for her discharge from her job as a journalist, whatever that means these days. She apologized and I accepted her apology, but she is not suited for dispassionately reporting the news. Had she done this in the back office, I wouldn’t care so much, but she is the face of the organization and the organization is also in the wrong. I’d call for Fox to fire Megan Kelly over “white Santa” and “white Jesus” but let’s not pretend that Fox is anything other than a right wing racist appeal to ignorance and hate.

I figured I might as well find out who this Caleb Howe dude is. Seriously?

Calling to have her fired is what I meant by calling for her head. But since you seem so comfortable with your position, I’ll have to (God, this sucks) take up SnoBoarder’s line of questioning. Specifically, what did she do that was so wrong that a sincere apology is insufficient?

Why does she think this kid is more likely to marry North West than any of Romney’s other grandkids. Because he’s black? That seems a little racist.

That’s the most egregious line, IMO.

Yeah and the kid is so going to marry a white girl anyway.

I agree with you on all counts. I also think it’s just plain dumb. But given the particularly nitwittery and her apology, I hardly think it raises the offense to the level of “she needs to be fired”.

Just because someone says something offensive/dumb/racist doesn’t mean they we need to be protected from them.

Yeah, those people sure do love white girls. And by “those people” I mean Mormons.

Eta: I don’t know that she needs to be fired, but an apology certainly seems appropriate. I’m just disagreeing with the “she did nothing wrong” camp.

What did she do that was so wrong? She is a spokesperson for her employer. She embarrassed her employer by making stupid and racist remarks. While the camera was on. It isn’t like she burned a fish fillet at a seafood restaurant, she made her employer look like an idiot when it is her job to make her employer look thoughtful.

I triple-pit you for making me agree with you.

I believe I see the four horsemen approaching.

You are a fucking idiot. She’s not a racist. Her whole life has been dedicated to fighting inequality. It was a dumb mistake but that’s okay, we’re all only human after all.

I didn’t accuse her of being a racist. The statement she made was racist, she appears and everyone seems to agree that it was. It is her job to avoid these kind of controversies, not make them.

As for whether I am a fucking idiot, that is really irrelevant to the issue at hand, isn’t it?

So you suppose firing a dedicated scholar in race relations over a lame comment will help her employer somehow look more thoughtful? I think we’ll let the companies PR person look out for their PR because you suck at it.

This.

I’m not exactly calling for her firing. A suspension would probably do. On the other hand, people have been fired for less.

What bothers me is the mean spirit behind the jeering.

Its nice to finally see Republicans getting outraged over perceived instances of racism. Now please stop forwarding photos of Obama with a bone in his nose, ok?

And damn you all to hell for making me agree with the likes of him!

What she did was wrong. People have lost their jobs for less.

I’m a big fan of her and I hope she comes to terms with this. Like it or not, she sets an example by virtue of her position, her race, and her background. I think she’s doing a good job, but that could change as quickly as an utterance. She deserves to be ridiculed, within reason.

Upon preview:

That’s what I was trying to say.

Goddamnit.

I think that segment was in bad taste and mean spirited, but I don’t think she should be fired over it.

I want those on my side to be better than this kind of thing. And it wasn’t even funny.

As I’ve noted, I think this was thoughtless, stupid and a big mistake (not to mention unfunny and a virtual “safety” for her own side), but don’t discount the desperate right-wing search for a left-wing Phil Robertson when considering the frenzy amongst conservatives,either.

Well congratulations, you too are now “a fucking idiot”.

That’s not news. :smiley: