Hey pilots: Flying through MOAs (Military Operational Areas)?

[Part 1 of 2]

ETA:[The conversation has moved on a bit while I was responding to Tripler’s first mention of TCAS. Oh well. So some of this is redundant to Richard’s fine words. None of this should be taken as quibbling with what he’s said. Oh well.]

TCAS was designed in the 1970s and first delivered in the mid-1980s. Pretty much trailing edge tech now, at least for big guys. It’s always been kinda expensive to put on small aircraft.

Although the design incorporates the idea that one airplane in the mix (e.g. the small guy) may be oblivious to the encounter and the other one (e.g.the big guy), does all the maneuvering to avoid the other’s predicted trajectory. So even though small guys aren’t TCAS-equipped, they gain safety from collision with TCAS-equipped big guys and those big guys gain safety vs. them as well

Bottom line: it’s not new but it works and works well. Over the years substantially everyone I know in the biz has had close calls that were made much less close by TCAS. At the same time we’ve all also had our share of nuisance alerts as well. Hard to say how many actual mid-airs it’s prevented, but I’d wager it’s more than zero.

ADS in all it’s various sub-flavors (-B-in, -B-out, -C, CPDLC, etc) is the current / next big thing. Some early parts of it have been flying (as FANS) for 15-20 years now in oceanic airspace. But widespread adoption in the US, EU, & the more inhabited parts of the rest of the world is happening in 2018 & up. Just this summer it’s essentially universal on US & EU jet aircraft, although it’s far from universally available on the ground side.

As Richard_Pearse says, Australia was leading the rest of the world by years on this. Their civil aviation authority and users were really the big beta tester on the whole thing.

Ultimately, ADS is a digital communications channel. What gets sent over the channel determines what it can be used for.

The promise of ADS is that ATC can shut down their expensive & maintenance intensive radars while everyone’s on-board nav system will just broadcast their position, altitude, speed, near-term intentions etc. for anyone and everyone to listen to.

So ATC can watch all the traffic with simple cheap low-maintenance radio receivers that receive all those transmissions, each airplane can listen for, display, and eventually maneuver to avoid, nearby traffic etc. The ATC receivers can even be on satellites so finally we will have traffic surveillance over the open ocean. Which will greatly increase airspace capacity in busy airspace (pre-COVID that is) like the North Atlantic or air routes between North America & China. That will also eliminate mystery disappearing ghost-jets like Malaysia 370.

Everybody wins.

Unfortunately, just like the global Internet, the groundwork was laid before anyone thought of the possibility of bad actors. A lot of effort has gone into retrofitting something approaching security into the system. Color me skeptical.

[Part 2 of 2]

From a Union careerist perspective, ADS is the enabling technology for ATC to directly drive the jets & remove what’s left of pilot autonomy & eventually pilot jobs. Today we’re starting to get what amount to text messages that say “climb, turn, speed up, follow this altered route, etc.”. We read the message, click the [OK] button, then (approximately; I’m simplifying here) the airplane does as ATC ordered.

Meantime down on the ground, controllers are increasingly being told how to manage traffic by their automated systems. So HAL-Ground is deciding how to deconflict traffic, shows his plan to the human controller who voice radios it to the pilots who type the changes into HAL-Air who then maneuvers the jet.

ADS as it’s coming together today changes that interaction to HAL-G decides how to deconflict traffic, shows a proposed text message to the human controller who clicks [OK] and moments later it arrives via ADS on the jet where the human pilot(s) click [OK] and HAL-A then maneuvers the jet. Removing those two clicks on [OK] can save a vast amount of payroll money and will therefore inevitably happen.

I’m sorta glad I’m old.

I can’t begin to emphasis what a technological leap the ipad was for general aviation. we went from VOR tracks that you had to manually triangulate on maps to locate the plane, to LORANS that gave you tracking ability from programmed points to moving map “stand-alone” GPS units. each one of those was a major leap of technology in a small airplane. then the i-pad came along. by itself it was just a small laptop without the decency of a keyboard. But it did something so radical that few people understood it at the time. It took all the money that went into the development of a hand-held GPS unit and routed it into software.

A good hand-held GPS cost $3,500. It had a tiny screen and you had to plug it into a computer to download all the mapping and airport data. You could get weather on it with a subscription. Very nice in it’s day. Enter the ipad. It was a ginormous screen in comparison and it was touch sensitive. Since there were no buttons to reconfigure for each function it meant the limitations to the programming didn’t exist.

for a very reasonable subscription rate the user gets all the maps that memory can contain. The screen is entirely customizable to show the user what they want to see and it’s usually only a few clicks to make major changes. Without a subscription I can upload weather to show me rain, lightening, wind vectors and speed. I can change to opacity of weather and display it on a variety of map types depending on the kind of flying I’m doing. Airport information is a touch of the screen as are IFR charts and airport diagrams. I can extend the runways out 20 miles which makes it ridiculously easy to locate and line up for a runway in hazy minimum visibility. You can display the map along with a variety of cockpit gauges and fly off the gauges while tracking your progress on the map.

Adding ADSB to this gives a general aviation pilot the kind of data that was once only found in airliners.