Hilary Clinton and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Personal E-mail Account

I had to laugh this morning when I heard this on the news.

Someone from the Clinton camp had issued a statement that (paraphrasing) “Mrs Clinton had complied with BOTH the spirit and letter of the law”.

Besides the run of the mill people making shit up type scandals its almost always ONE OR THE OTHER of those two you aren’t doing that gets you in deep doo doo.

And IMO, being Hillary, she’s violated both.

Leave it to the Clintons to take that old lawyers advice about how to argue your case and crank it up to 11.

The general tenor of the accusations goes beyond technical violation of NARA policy.

It depends on what your definition of “spirit” is, and what your definition of “letter” is. I am reasonably certain there is more than one letter in the law.

General tenor? Have there been an specific accusations beyond, “It’s bad not to have these records for the sake of history”, or perhaps, “this demonstrates a kind of arrogance that is unacceptable”? I agree with both of these accusations. I haven’t heard anything beyond these except maybe, “She’s probably hiding something.”

As a lawyer you would know better than I whether the following argument could be sustained in court, but here’s what I would like the State Department to do. Given that she (or an aide) has already acknowledged misusing her personal account for government business, the State Department should … sue? … ask for a search warrant? … to the contents of her personal accounts with the aim of recovering any and all such emails.

Is Is.

You’re not watching the fear network, then.

Ok, you got that right, I don’t watch Fux.

But here I am, a crazy left wing progressive Democrat, and I think there should be legal action taken against her. Not an arrest or anything, but I think her “volunteering” to look through her emails and turn over relevant emails is not sufficient. Also, it might take a court action to get to her service provider to see if any emails she deleted during her tenure might be recovered.

Or we should ask if the scandal is also a manufactured one like Whitewater.

What principles lead you to analyze this situation such that you presume that Miller would be at least silently believing that your defense of the Republican was partisan and different from how you’d treat a Democrat? It seems a little unreasonable to accuse someone of something which by the very nature of it there can be no evidence.

By presuming that you presume that there are no circumstances in which Miller, having read the hypothetical thread, would not at least think you were acting in a biased manner.

Gawker has a pretty good article about this here. They describe Clinton using her personal email address (hdr22@clintonemail.com) for what would certainly be SoS business, making the communication unavailable to FOIA requests and, presumably, anybody else who had an interest in it. Key bits of the article:

So, we know of at least some SoS business that is now invisible to legit requests. I don’t share Bricker’s confidence that Clinton didn’t communicate with foreign leaders on her personal email. Obviously I have no idea what the SecState’s work process is like, but I would think it likely that she’d send emails to foreign leaders, business people, think tanks, lobbyists, etc., and that those emails should be subject to oversight, investigation, and FOIA requests like everyone else’s in government.

On the topic of security, the domain registration information for clintonemail.com says that it’s hosted at 208.91.197.27, by a provider in the US Virgin Islands called Confluence Networks. Reporting about an unrelated issue, Security Week says Confluence Networks is basically a domain parking service. When a domain registered by Network Solutions expires, it gets transferred to Confluence Solutions, who put up one of those parked domain sites. (As an aside, you have to love Confluence Network’s very informative web presence.) If you go to clintonemail.com now, you do get one of those dopey parked pages.

Probably the domain was hosted somewhere else, then expired at some point and was dumped over to Confluence. I doubt it was hosted by Confluence all along. Here’s why we care, though: after the domain expired, it’s very likely that people would have still been sending emails to hdr22@clintonemail.com. Someone would surely not have gotten the message to stop sending their sensitive information to Clinton’s old address. Her email address was still on someone’s group distribution list, or still captured in someone’s careless Reply to All on an old email. What happened to those emails? Did Conlfuence set up a catch all email box for anything coming in to clintonemail.com? Is some bored admin in the USVI thumbing through those emails intended for the former Secretary of State? I guess we’ll never know. If she had been using the State Department email system, this at least would not be an issue.

Was using a personal email address against the law? I have no idea. Was it fucking stupid? Yes. Yes, it was.

Including e-mails sent TO the government by private persons? Or quoted in replies? Does a Floridian contacting the government automatically lose all right to privacy in so doing?

First, I said “presumably,” as opposed to “certainly,” which was intended to signal it was ismply my presumption, not a confident certainty.

Secondly, Miller said:

The tone of this post is supportive of my presumption.

General tenor and specific accusations are not necessarily the same thing.

Can I point out a simple fact?

Before e-mail existed, back in the Dark Ages, we used to use things called “pens” and “typewriters.”

Does anyone believe that the Secretary of State is now forbidden from picking up a pen, writing a letter to a colleague or a foreign potentate, sealing it, affixing a stamp to it, and mailing it?

Yes – even it, within the email, they request that their email be kept confidential.

They lose the right to privacy of whatever was in the contents of email that they sent, and some of them included a LOT of personal information.

I can’t give you a cite right now, but there were a flurry of stories shortly after the release saying what Bush did was not in any way illegal, just boneheaded.

Also, this stuff hadn’t been “just out there”. Someone would have to file a FOIA request with the state to specify exactly what information they wanted, so the information was more or less safe for the vast majority of those people until Jeb dumped it out.

Yes, pretty much. If you want your communications with Florida government agencies private you call or write a letter. In fact, every government agency - including counties and municipalities - are required to post the following on their websites.

But I, too, used “presumably” in my reaction to your post, and pointed out that it was your presumption. I received your signal loud and clear. I don’t think you need to correct me on that point.

Not especially. The tone of the post seems to be jocular surprise.

I don’t know, but I would bet that there are similar record keeping requirements for written documents. There certainly are at the Wisconsin State agency where I work. There are rather elaborate definitions of what constitutes a “record”, and statutory requirements as to how long they must be retained. Certainly a business letter from our Secretary to some other Secretary or someone in a commercial company would constitute a “record”, and copied and retained.

We are not worthy.

As long as Bill doesn’t lick the stamp.

Regards,
Shodan

Several people have asserted this in this thread, but I wonder if someone has more details of it. From what I see on Politico, it looks a bit different than what HRC did.