Historical Mystery Novels Anyone?

Of course the “real” historical mystery is why cjhoworth only shows up for SCA fencing practice once a month.

:smiley:

I warned you I would do this, didn't I. :p 

Harp and Sword

That’s “Don” Harp and Sword to you CJ

You might try A Conspiracy Of Paper by David Liss. It’s set in the 18th century Jewish community of London. Good atmosphere and an interesting and unique setting, but the plot is a little thin.

DonHarp and Sword, it was one fencing practice in the last month. The 6 months before that, I’ll give you. What can I say. Every so often I need a break from putting on body armor in the church’s ladies room.

Oh, and yes, I was expecting this. :smiley:
See you next Sunday,
CJ

WHAM OW, stupid jacket strap thingy… hops around on one foot and runs into the stall door
you can just see the little girls outside the stalls staring and thinking, “what the heck is SHE doing?”

**WHAM OW, stupid jacket strap thingy… hops around on one foot and runs into the stall door **
Little known fact:
That little strap thingy is not really to keep the jacket from riding up, it is for the fencing coach to administer disipline. Nothing gets those students to listen like a good hard wedgie. :wink:

Harp and Sword

I must recommend “Instance of Fingerpost” by Iain Pears who is among the very bust genre writers in any estimation. This is his masterpiece and one of the finest books of the young decade. Really a must read.

“Bust genre”? Do you mean. . . smut? :smiley:

I enjoyed An Instance of the Fingerpost, too, fruitbat. It’s very different from everything else out there.

E.L. Doctorow wrote a decent enough novel that might fit the “historical mystery” novel genre. Its title is Waterworks. I only vaguely remember it; I seem to recall being a little disappointed with the story but pleased with the writing. That’s unusual.

And I agree with you, KarlGrenze. The Name of the Rose was excellent right up until the ending. Still easily worth the read, though. (I never saw the movie.)

The Alienist was terrific; I was less impressed with Angel of Darkness. What’s up with Carr, anyway?
RR